Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jan 28, 2007, 05:30 PM
    Border collie nightmare
    My Border Collie,Hank, is a beautiful 3 year old male. We are his third home in 3 years and I see why. He's really too smart for his own good. He has escaped our yard several times, jumped through window screen, opened windows and the fridge, ripped apart a panel wall and eaten most of my window moldings and every blind in the house is either eaten or ripped down. I love Hank and really don't want to pass him on to yet another home in his short life. How can I tone the poor fellow down. We tried getting him a friend but that hasn't helped to keep him at home. Also he is very skinny for a dog that is nearly 4 years old. Will Hank eventually fill out. He is well-fed and gets plenty of exercise wth us and Riggs (his border collie/ husky roommate). Please give some advise.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 06:07 PM
    I will deal with the weight issue first since there are good answers to it. Some dogs are naturally lean. If his ribs don't show, he doesn't have a problem. If they do show, would he eat more if you gave it to him? If so do it. For more on this, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

I have seen ''experts'' claim all Border Collies are unsuitable as pets. That may be true for some including yours. Border Collies are notorious for needing to keep busy. Is he neutered? Doing so if not already could reduce his nervous energy. He would certainly be less distracted every time a female upwind for miles comes in season. I don't know if more attention in the evening, flyball, agility, 3 hour walks, etc. would settle him down in the day time or not. You could look at doggy day care. A whole day of supervised play with other dogs should solve most of your problems.
    airbats-goku Posts: 220, Reputation: 16

Jan 28, 2007, 06:19 PM
    How do I tell about his ribs through his long hair? I do know that they are easily felt. You gently pet the dog and you can feel ribs and also backbone
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2007, 06:47 PM
    Often you can still see the undulations of the ribs. It is common on Shepherds which have almost as long of hair. Many of them just won't eat enough to completely hide the ribs. If you checked that link I gave, there is another link to an illustrated guide plus a suggestion to have the vet confirm your judgment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Collie habits [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, my collie has just found a dead deer in the woods and he has rolled all over it any info how too get rid of the smell,:mad: :mad: thanks

Black Border Around Monitor [ 6 Answers ]

Using 98 SE---I have this black border on the left and right of each web page about an inch wide--how to I get rid of this and go back to full screen--? --Thank you--

Runny eye in Border Collie [ 1 Answers ]

My 8 yr old Border Colie has got a very runny eye (clear discharge) and some localised hair loss around the eye. I was hoping someone could help me regarding what the problem might be.

Rough Collie Puppy has funny stance! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I hope someone can give me some advice as I have fallen in love with a Rough Collie puppy which I dearly want to buy. I saw her this evening, she is 3 months old and appears to be in perfect health. Good teeth and gums, gorgeous coat, clean eyes and ears. She is active and playfull without...

Rough Collie Diet & Training [ 2 Answers ]

First of all, thank you Labman on your recent advice. I took my 3 month old Collie to the vet who confirmed she was underweight but didn't recommend calcium supplements, just a good healthy balanced diet to bring her weight up to normal. Aside from that she is in perfect health... I was very...

View more questions Search