Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpea121684 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 06:40 AM
    What's wrong with my dog ?
    I have a female boxer 5 years old she has this spot in her eye that looks like blood is coming to the surface of her eye causeing a small bump its off to the side of the puple and blood shot a little on the white part she wakes up with a little goop but I wipe it out and she seens OK I tried eye drop and onitment I don't have a lot of money for a vet can you maby tell me a few things it could be
    DandelionWish Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2011, 10:04 AM
    Hi,aww poor dog :(
    Sounds to me like cherry eye but I can't be sure the only person that can say for sure is your vet.
    Maybe this webpage will help it has some pictures and info on eye diseases in dogs.

http://vetmedicine.about.com/od/diseasesandconditions/tp/Dog-Eye-Diseases.htm

Good luck x
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 01:17 PM

Boxer's are the breed most prone to eye issues. Like mentioned the likely cause of this is Harderian gland prolapse or 'cherry eye". Boxers actually have 3 eye lids, and it's their third eye lid that causes these issues. If it is in fact, the only solution is to have the eyelid surgically put back in place, or in most cases totally removed, in which case your dog will need special eye drops for the rest of it's life.

It could also be Uveitis, which much less serious. Mostly caused by something being stuck in the eye. Does he have a blue film over his eye and a watery discharge? This usually can be treated with anti-inflammatory drugs and anti-biotics.

If you notice any of these symptoms, night blindness, dilated pupils and/or an increased shine in the eyes, you should take him to the vet asap as this can indicate
    Progressive retinal atrophy (PRA), and will cause blindness. We have a Boxer in the shelter where I work who was dropped off with this disease, and is now completely blind. Makes it hard for him to find his forever home.

No one here can diagnose, and there are just too many different possibilities, anything mentioned would be a best guess. Only your vet can properly diagnose your dog.

Good luck, and please keep us posted.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jun 13, 2011, 02:00 PM

ERROR: You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Aurora_Bell again.

I agree.. sounds a lot like cherry eye which is fixable..

Jun 15, 2011, 04:47 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Thank you for the info I'm going to check some pictures out on line now that I have some things that it may be very helpful

Jun 15, 2011, 05:09 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    I look at the pictures of cherry eye but it don't match. The bump is on her eye not on the skin around it it looks like the blood is coming from the back of her eye and making its way to the front and its has a blue film looking stuff around the bump. Picture a glass marbel as her eye and its like a zit with no white head or a small bubble forming on the marble with a red color in side the bump. And I have one more question I found something elce on her if she is standind stright and I get behind her and like put my hands around her waist run my hands down her sides on the right side there is a hard mass I can see it sticking out when she stands its right in front of her right hip up twords her back . Its like someone slid a cooked chicken breast under her skin its not like a ball its like the shape of my hand I can lay my hand on it and it fits from finger tip to palm
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 04:42 PM

The lump could be muscle mass or a tumor, Boxers are also notorious for cancer. The eye thing kind of sounds like an irritation, something like Uveitis. It can be treated, but if left untreated can lead to blindness. Of course I can NOT diagnose your pup, I can only give you my best guess as to what it might be. You should really take your dog to the vet. I know it costs money, but owning a pet costs money. See if you can work out a payment plan if you are in good standing with your vet, or offer to do cleaning around the office, or find a low income or income assisted vet. There is a sticky at the top of the dog forum with tips on lowering your vet bills, it's quite long, but it may be of some help to you. If you can't find it let me know and I can post it here for you.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 16, 2011, 03:37 PM
    Don't worry about the bump on her hip just yet. About her eye... The pupil is the hole in the middle of the colored (the iris) part. Around that clear to the white part is the clear cornea. IF this bump is located on the cornea, not on the white, then the cornea has a deep ulcer in it and the bump is the very thin inner lining of the cornea called the Descement's membrane. The bump is the membrane pushing out of the ulcer, not too unlike the bump on a tire, where the inner tube is pushing out. This happens just before the tire blows out. This bulge you see on the eye, if it's in the corneal area of the eye, is going to do just what the tire would do, with out the noise.
    The redness in and around the bulge are new blood vessels developing there as the eye is trying to heal itself. This is an indication of how long it has been there, since these vessels have to grow from the edge of the cornea to the ulcer. The whiteness is the cornea itself, where the ulcer has allowed tears to penetrate the layers of the cornea and become milky.
    You need to have a veterinarian look at the eye. It will require surgery to close the corneal hole, push the membrane back inside the eye, and put a tissue patch over the cornea while the cornea heals. Otherwise, the dog will lose sight of the eye, and probably have to have it removed. All the fluid in the eye will leak out when the bulge ruptures. Which is the next thing it will do, if it hasn't already.

Best of luck... really.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jun 16, 2011, 03:47 PM
    If the bump is over the iris, there has still been an ulcer form in the cornea, only it is the edge of the iris itself that is pushing out amd forming the bulge. Same urgency, except the iris is giving a little bit more strength and preventing the eye from rupturing. I say a little more... it'll still rupture and maybe this is why it hasn't already.

About the hip... feel the other side. There may be another bump there, only a little smaller. Lots of dogs have them, and I have never checked one to see what it is as none have ever caused any problems. May be fat, may be muscle... they are not hernias and they don't seem to be bothering the dogs. No one has ever wanted to operate to see, or x-ray them, so it has just stayed a minor mystery. Sorry I can't say for certain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What's wrong with my dog [ 4 Answers ]

I have a small minicher doverment pincher and he is 8yrs old and has like same what things growing on his nose and at the bottom of his moth, it doesn't bother him, he takes them out but they seen to come back??

What's wrong with my dog [ 5 Answers ]

I have a mix between rotweiler and german sheppard. About a week ago, she started to get like all tired, she doesn't move around, she doesn't want to eat mutch, just small portions and like I sayed she is lifeless. Now before you tell me to go to vet, we are 360km away from the nearest vet. And...

What's wrong with my dog [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 14yr old labrador who is acting very strange. She has panic attacks when she tries to come down the stairs and needs to be coaxed down. She is up all night and seems to need to go out every hour but sometimes when she goes out to the garden she just looks confused and runs back in. She has...

My dog is sick what's wrong with her? [ 6 Answers ]

Hi she has always been crazy about food and still is, she doesn't have any worms but she has been pucking 2-3 times a day for a few days what's wrong? :confused:

What's wrong with my dog? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I have two dogs about 6-7 weeks old. Brothers. One is completely fine: playful and eats and acts like he should. The other... Well, sleeps a lot, nose isn't wet (as I hear they are supposed to be though "Old Wifes Tales"). But most of all that concerns me is that, some times it's...

View more questions Search