Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    One2Prosper Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 04:47 AM
    I paid my past due rent & still received a 24 hour notice of eviction.
    I was past due on my rent. I thought I'd paid one of the months, but was corrected. I received a five day which I immediately noticed had an extravagant amount owed on my rent. I put a check in the mail to them & they called me to tell me that they would not accept it that it needed to be in money order that evening. I purchased a money order & put it in the door of the management company. I heard nothing else back, so I figured all was well (I only owed $100 after paying which I got 2 days later). Two days later I received the 24 hour notice of eviction! I filed a motion to stay a& it was denied! I don't understand why when I proved that I paid OVER half of what was owed minus the fees that were on the 5 day as well as what rents they added to make it more than what I owed. Break down: They are saying I owe $2424, please help me with some math here now... My rent is $533. I paid $33 dollars over one month so that brought that past rent to $500, I owed one complete month which is $533. Total past due rent = $1033... They have fees accruing $285 as well as an NSF fee of $40(which should really be $35 from the last conversation we had about this fee!). Now if my education does me justice this DOES NOT add up to $2424! The amount that is owed is $1358 which I paid $900 of & still have the money order for the $133... I also have the vooicemail from the leasing agent that says a completely different amount than what is on the 5 day as well! I was also under the impression that under Nevada State Law, you cannot be evicted for late fees as long as you have paid the rent! I have lived in Vegas for 17 years & I have NEVER been evicted! Please advise! I need help on what to do now! OHHHH! Forgot the clincher... two hours after getting home seeing the eviction notice another constable/sheriff knocks on my door & placed a notice of Trustee sale on my door! The house has been up for foreclosure since 10/2010!
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by One2Prosper View Post
    ... please help me with some math here now.....My rent is $533. I paid $33 dollars over one month so that brought that past rent to $500, I owed one complete month which is $533. Total past due rent = $1033...They have fees accruing $285 as well as an NSF fee of $40(which should really be $35 from the last conversation we had about this fee!). Now if my education does me justice this DOES NOT add up to $2424! ...
    Adding a column of numbers collected from a rambling discourse isn't my strong suit, but here's what I get:

Rent due $553.00
    Prepay -$33.00
    Fees -$285.00
    NSF fee -$40.00
    Still due $195.00

... I was also under the impression that under Nevada State Law, you cannot be evicted for late fees as long as you have paid the rent! ...
    Assuming this is true, you still owe at least $195 (or $190 if you are correct about the NSF fee). What's the breakdown on the $285?

... another constable/sheriff knocks on my door & placed a notice of Trustee sale on my door! The house has been up for foreclosure since 10/2010!
    It's posted on your door not for your benefit but, I'm guessing, because the requirements for a trustee sale include a requirement to post the premises. If you aren't evicted by the sale, the buyer will probably be required to give you a 90-day notice.

Have you &/or your landlord fully complied with the respective terms of NRS 40.253?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2011, 06:18 AM

I have a headache. Could you just set the figures out? (I'm with AK - what?)
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 06:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I have a headache. Could you just set the figures out? (I'm with AK - what?)
    OP has a computer.

Computer has Excel (probably)

QED: Use Excel to tally the figures. :rolleyes:

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

While in the eviction process, tenant has not paid rent due for that month. [ 21 Answers ]

Tenants were given notice of eviction Aug.23rd, which means they have until Sept. 23rd to leave. Rent is due on the 3rd of each month. They have found a new place to live & have given deposit & first months' rent(to secure the new place) to new landlord, but have not paid us for the month of...

Landlord received 60 day notice. I am being sued for past rent. What should I do? [ 3 Answers ]

I gave my landlord a 60 day notice about 3 days ago. I have a pending case to be heard in court next month. What should I do? Will the landlord sue me for 60 days because I gave notice or will they just sue for the past month owed? Thanks Renter in need of answers

24 hour Eviction Notice [ 1 Answers ]

I am living in a house and recently had a falling out with my roommate. When we moved in she was the only one to sign the lease. We agreed that I would move out at the end of the month since I just paid for all of this months rent. After another argument she told me that I have 24hours to leave...

Landlord provided 60 day eviction notice, now no rent received. Court case pending. [ 2 Answers ]

At the end of March, I provided a 60 eviction notice to one of my tenants (per the terms of the lease), informing her that I was not continuing her tenancy after it expired on 5/30/08 Now, she hasn’t paid rent since April. She's being evicted due to what I believe is her paranoid schizophrenia....

View more questions Search