Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjbconcrete Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 06:59 PM
    White wire is hot in the switch box. How do I supplu other switches in the same box
    It seems the power and neutral are in the light box. I have 3 other devices I need power for in the switch box. Can I use the ground as the nuetral so I can get a the current to travel. I will not have a ground from this point on since I will use it for the nuetral. Is this okay to do. It seems I have done it before but in the actual panel...

Thanks, mike
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 07:15 PM

This is absolutely 1000% NOT OK to do!!

What wires are in the switch box? If just black and white then you'll have to find another source to feed the new switches.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 07:17 PM

No, you cannot use the ground as a neutral. Based on the wording of your post I think you should just tell us what you are trying to do and let someone tell you how to do it.

Jun 12, 2011, 07:25 PM
    Yes, In the box I have a black, white, and a ground. The white wire is hot and the black is the loop back to the light. The light box has the feeder. What I want to do is supply power to a fan that I have installed in the switch box but the only power that's there is the white hot wire. I just got the sheetrock finished not knowing that it was wired this way. What's the beest way to get power here?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2011, 07:28 PM
    Comment on hkstroud's post
    Yes, In the box I have a black, white, and a ground. The white wire is hot and the black is the loop back to the light. The light box has the feeder. What I want to do is supply power to a fan that I have installed in the switch box but the only power that's there is the white hot wire. I just got the sheetrock finished not knowing that it was wired this way. What's the beest way to get power here?

Thanks

Jun 12, 2011, 07:46 PM
    Comment on stanfortyman's post

Thanks
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 07:53 PM

Okay, first and foremost, the white wire is Not Neutral! Switches do not usually require a Neutral. 2011 NEC requires that a neutral now be brought to the switch outlet box in case it is needed by a speciality switch.

It is part of a "Switch Loop". The loop is made off the power supply wire (constant hot). Using a two wire (Black/White with ground) you attach the white conductor to the main supply black conductor. Then you permanently mark that conductor at both ends and anywhere it might be visible with a black or red marker, paint or tape to signify that this conductor has been retasked to carry power.

According to code, the white or gray conductor can only carry power away from the connection to the main supply. The black conductor can only return the power to the device.

Okay, so now, by way of the white (retasked) you have power at the switch box.

You can take three short black conductors and wire nut them to the retasked white. This is called a pigtail.

Each one of the new black conductors would feed each switch. It would now be necessary for you run an additional 3 wire (Black/Red/White) to the switches so that black and red can return power to the devices. The white in that cable can be capped off at both ends.

Jun 12, 2011, 08:11 PM
    Comment on donf's post
    I think I follow you. Use what I have for the power and jump the other devices. Im thinking I will have to do the same for the return. I'll give it a go. It won't be the first time I got bit.
    Thanks for the help
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 09:39 PM

If I understand yor post correctly you have power being fed to the ceiling box with a switch loop going to the switch box. One wire of that switch cable (the white) carries power to the switch. The other wire (black) takes power back to the light fixture. You do not have a neutral wire at the switch location. You cannot use the ground as a neutral.

You must rewire with 3-conductor cable or or pull another 2-wire cable from the ceiling box so that you will have a neutral at the switch location.

PS. Not sure what you mean by "fan that I have installed in the switch box "
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 12:16 PM

Are you just trying to feed the fan and light? I thought you said you wanted to add two additional switches, that's why I told you that you needed to add a 3 wire return.

If you only want the fan and the light, then Hank is correct, just run the 3 wire cable. White to carry power to the switches. Black - returns to the fan. Red returns to the light.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I wire 2 switches with 3 14-3 wires coming in the box [ 1 Answers ]

The homerun comes in through the light. One of the switches is a 3 way and the other is a single pole switch going to a split receptacle.

Addig a new electrical outlet to the middle switch in a box with three switches. [ 2 Answers ]

Thank you in advance for any help you are able to give me. I am attempting to add an outlet. I want it to be controlled by an existing switch which is in a box as a group of three. The middle switch controlled the ceiling fan light. I connected two wire romex cable to the new outlet. Then I...

How do I wire a single pole switch from hot plug in the same box? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a double box. In which there is already a wired hot double plug, I would like to add a switch to turn off and on a light. I would like to keep the plug hot all the time. How do I wire the switch?

How to wire 2 separate switches from one circuit in the same box [ 1 Answers ]

I want to wire two separate switches (both on the same circuit) in a 2 gang box. One will control 4 can lights, and the other will control 3 can lights. This is in my basement. The power will be feeding the switch box first. Hope this is clear. Any help or a diagram would be very helpful!

How to wire/combine 4 single switches in one box for 4 lights [ 13 Answers ]

I want to wire 4 fluorescent lights separately on single switches but want to put the switches in one blue box. Other words, I want to be able to turn on one light at a time, or turn on 3 different lights at a time. How do I run the wires in the switch box? Do I pigtail all of the switches? The...

View more questions Search