Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barbarawilliams Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 03:11 PM
    401k from former job used for new primary residence
    I have quit my job of 22 years. My family and I are relocating to a different state. I would like to use my 401k toward the purchase of a new primary residence until my current home sales. Then I would have my 401k money to pay back into a different retirement plan, depending on my next employers. Is this possible withour being penalized?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 12, 2011, 03:17 PM

Have you looked into a loan from the account.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 12, 2011, 04:55 PM

IF and that's an unlikely IF, you can deposit the withdrawn amount into a rollover IRA within 60 days of distribution, you could do this. Otherwise, once the 60 days are up, you will be responsible for interest and penalties. Also, you will be limited on what you can contribute to IRAs.

A loan is probably not going to work since you are not longer employed by the company. You might be better off with a personal loan that you can pay off with a loan against the 401K AFTER you roll it over into a new company plan.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a foreclosure on a second residence affect the primary residence [ 1 Answers ]

I was building a house in North Carolina about three years ago. All of the work stopped because the bank gave all of the money to the builder without checking on the work. They ran out of money and the house was never finished. I waited two years to see what would happen. The bank's lawyer...

Foreclosure of primary residence [ 3 Answers ]

I am in foreclosure in my priary residence in Naples Florida. I have a second home in virginia that we have rented out,and mortgage is in goodstanding. Is there a chance they can take this home away from us?

401k withdrawal for primary residence [ 9 Answers ]

I borrowed money from my 401k to purchase my primary residence (88,000.00 to be exact) Now I got a letter stating that I owe the IRS 28,000.00 in taxes. I asked the 401k advisor at my job, before borrowing, if I would be taxed. He said no. He said because I was using money to purchase primary...

Primary residence [ 2 Answers ]

About a year ago, I purchased a home in Missouri after the bank foreclosed on my mother's home. She lives with me now at the new house. I have recently decided to move and possibly get married. I would like my mother to be able to continue living at the house if possible. I don't believe that...

401k primary residence loan [ 15 Answers ]

I took out a loan from my 401k for primary residence purchase and deal fell through. What can I do with the money now other than paying it all back to pay off the loan.(and lock that money up for 12 months) Can I use it for other purposes? Can I use part of it to pay back another 401k non-prin....

View more questions Search