Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fastjet Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 12, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Perm. Residence in FL rent in Virginia or DC work in Virginia.
    My permanent residence is in FL. Work for an airline and thinking about working in VA at dca airport. I would be renting a room either in VA or DC. FL has no state income tax but VA does. Would I file as a non resident in VA and get my money back. I'm in customer service and would commute back and forth on my days off. If I do decide to do this would I be better off renting a room in VA or DC which I understand also has a state income tax. Although I don't think it matters the company hdq is in AZ.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jun 13, 2011, 07:12 AM

If you work in VA you must pay VA income tax on your wages, regardless of whether you are a VA resident or not. No way to avoid it, even if you commute to work every day from FL (which is obviously impractical).

Further - by renting a room in VA (or DC) you can fall into the trap of being considered a VA (or DC) resident, and hence you would also have to pay income tax on any other income you may have - such as invesments - to VA (or DC). The fact that you go to FL for days off is not material UNLESS you can show that you actually spend more time in FL than in VA. If your other income is relatively small this may not be a big deal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take to foreclosure on a residence in Virginia? [ 1 Answers ]

The house I am leasing in Charlottesville is beginning to go into foreclosure. I have started looking for another place to live. I assume I am on a month to month lease since the full lease has run out. My employment may take me out of this area soon anyway but I'd rather not have to move twice....

Lyrics from 70's Virginia, Virginia don't go. Who is the group [ 1 Answers ]

Stuck on just one line " Virginia, Virginia dont go " who is the group?

Breaking a rent to own contract in Virginia [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I was in a 3 year rent to own contract in Henrico County in the state of Virginia. We moved last year for work and was only 2 years into the contract. I told my landlord at the beginning of May that we would be moving in June. We ended up moving May 30, 2007 instead of June as work...

Collecting double rent in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Can a landlord collect double rent in the state of Virginia. Example: We broke our lease, gave a 60 day notice and agreed to forfeit our security deposit. Our rent was paid until the end of the month, however we moved out on the 17th, so the new tentent's could move in on the 24th. We did not...

Pay Rent or Quit in Virginia [ 2 Answers ]

Can a pay rent or quit form be delivered by registered mail in VA or must it be served?

View more questions Search