Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cookie5853 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2011, 02:00 PM
    Why isn't my dog eating??
    I have a 5 year old long hair chihuahua, my daughter went out of town and will be gone for 3 days!! My dog hasn't eaten or drank any water for over 24 hours. What can I do?
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 11, 2011, 05:25 PM

Sounds like he's going through separation anxiety.

Are you sure he's not eating or drinking anything? A dog doesn't usually starve himself, even if he's upset. He may be sneaking food.

Is there water available 24/7? Is he showing signs of being ill, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy?

Try a special treat, rice and chicken, or wet dog food. Something he can't resist.

If this problem persists you'll have to see a vet.
    DandelionWish Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 13, 2011, 09:56 AM
    Just a little tip - if you think your dog isn't drinking anything, try it with an ice cube my dog can't resist licking one and it will help stop it getting too dehydrated.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 13, 2011, 09:30 PM

I just went away for 4 days and took one of my dogs with me.

Mine flat out refuses to drink away from home.

I get a syringe (without the needle) and just squirt some water down his throat every hour or so.
    He hates it, but it keeps him hydrated.

As for the food 3 days without will make him very hungry, but it won't kill him.
    You can do the same thing as the water but instead use a mushy puppy food or even a little oatmeal.

If you notice him acting a little lethargic you can add some glucose to the water to increase his blood sugar level (normally kept up when eating properly)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My dog stop eating his dog food or drink but he will eat table food [ 6 Answers ]

Last week we took a long road trip and took our dog with us. On the trip he eat his food with no problems but we did give him table food at times. Now he will not eat his food unless it's mixed with table food and he will no drink from his water bowl. Can you help? Should I take him to the vet?

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant and not eating I have tried allsorts of dog food [ 7 Answers ]

My dog is 4 weeks pregnant I have tryde allsorts of dog food can anyone help me

Got new dog and old dog stopped eating [ 2 Answers ]

Over Christmas we adopted a rescue dog while visiting family. The day after adopting her she was very sick and we spoiled her. Our other dog who is 4 yrs old was fine during this time. We went back home after Christmas and the dog that we had (the 4 yr old) stopped eating. He will eat people...

My dog is 50 days old and is not eating Dog chow [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My dog name is scoobee, golden labarador,n is 50 days old,he became thin after vaccination ,got fever.. n when I try to feed him Dog chow he simply deny to intake... kindly suggest me... how to attract him in eating of Dog chow as it contains all the minerals and suppliments to good growing...

Dog not eating [ 1 Answers ]

My dog has been sick for several weeks now. I took her to the vet a couple of weeks ago because she was not eating and would gag every time she did. On the way to vet she threw up a dead animal. It was raw meat, fur and claws. It really made me sick. I think it was a rabbit she had killed. ...

View more questions Search