Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aroles Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 12:50 PM
    Claiming son on taxes if he has a child
    Hello,
    My 20 year old has been living with me since mid-2006. He is going to college and I will be claiming him on my taxes as I am now supporting him. He has a child (he is not married, nor lives with his child). Can I legally claim him. He is not going to file for 2006.

Thanks,
    aroles
    treasureb Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 01:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by aroles
    Hello,
    My 20 year old has been living with me since mid-2006. He is going to college and I will be claiming him on my taxes as I am now supporting him. He has a child (he is not married, nor lives with his child). Can I legally claim him. He is not going to file for 2006.

Thanks,
    aroles
    Yes. He should fill out a Release of Claim to Exemption For Child of Divorced or Separated Parents and mail it or fax it to the mother. Go to the Internal Revenue Service website and type in the search, Form 8332. You can download and print out the form.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Aroles:

NOT SO FAST!

Do you want to claim the college-going son, or the grandchild? Your question is not too clear on this.

You can claim your son if he is a full-time college student.

The grandchild is a different matter entirely. Have you been supporting the grandchild as well?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Claiming child [ 6 Answers ]

Hi! I think my ex is claiming our daughter on his taxes. I know he can not do this, so how do I handle it? My income is tax exempt, so I don't have to file taxes. Is there a number I can call to see if he is or what can I do? :confused: After not wanting to give me a penny for years he came up...

Claiming first child and I'm confused. [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I had a chile in early November of last year. Is it true that he had to live with us for more than half the year to qualify to be claimed for 2006? If he can be claimed who should claim him? I work and make over $30,000 a year. My girlfriend doesn't currently work and when...

Claiming a child on taxes [ 11 Answers ]

My Husband and I have one son together and he has one that he pays child support for. We pay child support with no questions asked and have for all 5 years of his life. The thing is that we have him the exact amount of time his mother has him... One week on and one week off. My question is "Is...

How to find out who is claiming my child [ 5 Answers ]

My son's mother and I have not been together in over five years, my son is now 9 and has lived with me exclusively for the past five years. Each year I have tried to claim my son as a deduction and each year I have been told that someone else has claimed him. I asssumed it was his mother, but I...

Claiming children on taxes [ 2 Answers ]

My ex seems to think that he is qualified to claim both children on taxes this year... we have joint custody and have each claimed one child for the 3 yrs since we've been divorced.. last yr I went back to school, so my income was lower since I didn't work a full year, but I do have income from...

View more questions Search