Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dixiken Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 08:17 AM
    Drivers license in WV
    How did you acquire a drivers license in 1925 in West Virginia?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 09:50 AM

I've combed the Internet with no specific info on WV. Your best bet is to go to a Rochester PL branch near you (or does Victor have its own?) or the main library to research this with the help of a reference librarian.

Here is some info but not specific to WV --

What is the History of the Driver's License? | eHow.com

(I'm from the Brockport area.)
    dixiken Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2011, 04:29 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    The reason I asked this question is: My mother just passed away in April and I remember her telling me that she had to send to Sears and Roebuck for her drivers license. She was born in West Virginia in 1912. I was curious to see if anyone else knew this. Thank you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 10, 2011, 04:31 PM

The reason I asked this question is: My mother just passed away in April and I remember her telling me that she had to send to Sears and Roebuck for her drivers license. She was born in West Virginia in 1912. I was curious to see if anyone else knew this. Thank you.

I too have heard this story from elderly relatives. I think the Sears part is a joke that parents and grandparents tell younger family members.

Sears used to be THE place where we all went to buy nearly anything -- furniture, carpets and rugs, curtains and drapes and the hardware needed to hang them, kitchen appliances, snow shovels, auto supplies, clothing, toys, baby needs, small pets, fabric etc. for sewing, candy, shoes and boots, camping equipment -- the list goes on forever. Sears was a magical place! Even real homes were eventually available from Sears, and many are still standing. Sears was truly the one-stop shop for anything we needed, so why not say you got your driver's license there too?

Then, A. Montgomery Ward came along and after that J.C. Penney's. No shopping mall was complete without at least one of those as an "anchor" store, plus a Woolworth's (dime store) or maybe a Walgreen's.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drivers License #: [ 1 Answers ]

I wanted to know if this person is married before or is he single? And what is his address. Please advise

I need a Drivers License [ 54 Answers ]

I am in need of a drivers license. In June of 2006 I was arrested in W.Va.(USA) and bonded out, I then jumped bond and hualed out of the state. I have not returned since, nor have I showed up for a single court date, not even my prelim. I now live in Alabama and I have tried to get a DL, but this...

Drivers license! [ 1 Answers ]

I live in California and I'd like to know if ilegal aliens are allowed to apply for a drivers license? Thank you, Philly

Drivers license [ 1 Answers ]

When was the first drivers license in Pa. issued, and when did they start charging for them.

UK drivers license to US license (but with conviction) [ 2 Answers ]

I'm in the UK and I recently crashed my dad's car (without a license nor insurance). I am going to get my full license soon, but the motoring department in the UK have said that I WILL have a conviction on it (obvisouly, for crashing, driving without license/insurance, seatbelts, etc). I am...

View more questions Search