Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoe_shine84 Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 01:48 PM
    My sweet baby Maggie
    About four days ago I noticed my bay wasn't feeling well, so we took her to the vet, She tested positive for parvo, but the vet said it didn't seem like she had it he gave us baytril and to give her lots of water and pedalite and we did I gave the pill the next morning and gave her water and stayed with her then about 4 she threwup for the first time, but we thought we weren't giving her enough water so every hour we would give her water and she puke 12 times from 4 to when we took her to the vet at 8 a.m. and she has been there every since she has stayed the same she did poop there and there was no blood. This is her 4th day with it do you thinks she will be OK I really need someone should tell me to get my hopes up or not... I love her sooo much she is my world

Jun 9, 2011, 02:01 PM
    I call the vet every 2 hours and the said this that there was a little bit of blood in her vomit, but she is alert
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 02:05 PM

It sounds like she is holding her own. Have you visited her yet?

I'm going to keep her in my thoughts. She sounds like a survivor!

Jun 9, 2011, 02:07 PM
    I have this morning, almost broke my heart to see her hooked up to the IV, she sits up on her own
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 02:12 PM

If she's sitting up on her own and showing the other good signs that you mentioned, she'll make it. You caught this in time, so bravo to you. (And brace yourself. Someday, you'll be looking at a parent or a child with IVs and other tubes in them. Not an easy thing to see.)

Jun 9, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Yea I know just hard to see. She is still so weak I just want to take her home,they said today she isn't as good as yesterday, I hope she fights this and can come home soon. I bleached everything in my house and outside
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:22 PM

Parvo is a terrible disease. It can seem like the dog is doing better, and then it can turn to tragedy.

Sadly she's not out of the woods yet.

If she does survive this then she'll have issues for the rest of her life. This will affect her health.

I can't say she's out of the woods, because she isn't. You are doing what she needs, and I do hope for the best. Only time will tell.
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    If she's sitting up on her own and showing the other good signs that you mentioned, she'll make it. You caught this in time, so bravo to you. (And brace yourself. Someday, you'll be looking at a parent or a child with IVs and other tubes in them. Not an easy thing to see.)
    Actually, she's far from being out of the woods, and far from cured. Sitting up on her own isn't a sign that she's over this. Only a clean bill of health means that the parvo is gone. If she does survive, and it's still an if, then she'll likely be sickly for the rest of her life.

Parvo is a very terrible disease. The fatality rate is over 80%, even if it's caught early.

The OP is doing what needs to be done, but until the parvo is out of the dogs system, there's no guarantee that she'll survive.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:37 PM

I agree with Alty here, sitting up really means nothing. Dogs will do their best to make us think they are okay. You may think your pup is ion the mend, when really they might not be. I am in no way telling you to lose hope, and I hope that your babe makes a fullr ecovery quickly. Please just follow the advice of your vet. Of course you catching this when you did, really is the best thing for her. Only time and hydration will tell for your baby. I am so sorry, this really just emphasizes how important it is to get all your puppies vaccinated as soon as possible.

I am so sorry you are put in this situation, the best thing for you to do is follow your vets advice.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:45 PM

Alty and Bella, please advise her on how to clean and prepare her house and yard for when (we hope) her dog comes home. She mentioned bleaching things. There must be a strict procedure for this?
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 05:52 PM

Bleaching is the way to go. Bleach everything, inside and out. Yes, it will ruin your yard, and many things in your home, but that's the only way to get rid of parvo.

The good news is that since your dog has gone through parvo, if she makes it, she will have immunity (to an extent) of this disease. It's unlikely she'll get it again. Getting parvo is the same as vaccinating against it. It will build her immunity to the disease. That's not to say that she won't or can't get it again, but it's less likely.

I really hope that she survives this. Do prepare yourself that if she does survive, she will won't be the healthy dog you had before. She will show likely have breathing problems, and other issues because of this disease. She will be weaker, and more likely to get sick. Talk to your vet about what you can do to help her once she comes home.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 06:03 PM

Yes bleaching and hot washing that is the ONLY way to kill the parvo virus. To be on the safe side discard all toys, bedding and dishes and buy new. Make sure to clean up ALL feces in the yard and even put bleach on the grass, Parvo can love long years in most soil. Make sure to wash ALL shoes and outer wear. Make sure that your furniture and carpets are cleaned, floors washed etc... Disinfect flooring. Use a solution of two parts bleach to one part water to disinfect hard surfaces such as tile, wood, cement, and linoleum. Use a stiff scrub brush to thoroughly clean the entire floor, including corners. Pour the bleach solution down the drain. Mix another bleach solution and repeat the process to ensure that all traces of the virus are killed. Use same solution in a spray bottle and wipe counters, cupboards and walls down

Think of this as a human family member getting a deadly illness. Any and all safety pre-cautions can not hurt your situation. Remember the ONLY cleaning solution that is 99% effective is bleach.

Jun 9, 2011, 07:08 PM
    The vet says it's a 50/50 chance, he also told me she isn't out of the woods yet, but today she has only puked once I wish there was more I can do for her...

Jun 9, 2011, 07:11 PM
    Ive done the bleach thing to my entire house even parts she hasn't touched is there anything else I can do?
    Pets Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 07:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shoe_shine84 View Post
    Ive done the bleach thing to my entire house even parts she hasn't touched is there anything else I can do?
    Do the yard.

Parvo is carried mainly in feces. Even if you pick up her poop it's not enough to battle the virus.

You have to bleach your entire yard.

The vet is doing what he must, and so are you. Whatever happens, you did your best. Don't beat yourself up if this ends badly. I'm really hoping she pulls through. Whatever happens, you did what you needed to do. Don't feel badly about the outcome.

Jun 9, 2011, 07:26 PM
    I did the yard too sorry didn't add that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Its like candy baby, your hot sweet & sticky [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings this song, ( its like candy baby, your hot sweet & sticky )

Who sings this song (its like candy baby, your hot sweet & sticky) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm looking for the name of this song and who sings it.

Sweet sweet blues music [ 19 Answers ]

Does anyone know if Howling Wolf or John Lee Hooker are still alive and if they are, are they still playing

View more questions Search