Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    warret Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2011, 08:59 AM
    Lien against property that already been sold.
    Hello. We were about to purchase a home we found in another town and do a bridge loan with our bank until we can sell the one we currently live in. When our bank did a title search on our property( 1.1 acres and a modular home) they found an old lien that should have been paid off everything by the people we bought it from 5 yrs ago. The lady that sold us our house had taken out a 2nd mortgage. We remember at that closing, a check was made out to her mortgage co and another check to her for the difference. This mortgage payment should have cleared the title. We lived there 2 yrs and sold the house and 1 appx. 1 ac it was sitting on and retained 1.1 to put a modular home on. (The original property was a home and 2 ac.) Since then we have found out that the mortgage co she used dissolved and they sold their account to ANOTHER company. Not only do they hold a lien against our property but also to our neighbors that bought the house and 1 ac from us! When we sold the house to our neighbors the lien did not show in the title search! What do we do?! Help!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2011, 09:04 AM

I'd be speaking to both the title company that didn't catch this AND the Attorney(s) who didn't catch this.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2011, 05:46 AM
    This happens when lenders 'forget' to release liens. It probably wasn't anything underhanded by the original owner, just sloppy work on the part of the lender, or lost paperwork when one lender sold out to another. This is why you buy title insurance. If you didn't, you have to sue. It isn't clear who you will sure because you will have to find out who dropped the ball along the way.

This happened to me. Title searches are done at the last minute on purpose, and ours showed as unreleased the day of the closing. They wanted us to pay for a courier to go way into the city etc, and we said, hey this is your problem. So they paid for it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lien on property [ 2 Answers ]

My ex and I own a house that has a mortgage on it. When I left my ex he decided not to pay on his credit cards because he felt that I had a part in using them, i.e for income tax payments, sometimes the car payment,etc. Two credit cards in my ex's name have put a lien on our house, so that...

Lien on Property [ 2 Answers ]

What does a lien on property mean exactly? What has to take place? Do you have to sign papers, etc? Please explain. Janet Leagon [email protected]

Property lien [ 2 Answers ]

Can I put a lien on an estate. I had a 32 ford pick-up parked at a friends house the friend died and his son took my pick-up out of state. I have the title and all current paper work for the truck. I know there is a trustee in charge of the property and house but she will not call me. Thank you...

Lien on Property [ 3 Answers ]

My husband received overpayment for unemployment and they said that they were going to put a lien on the house. But there are 2 other people on the deed can the take the house or make me sell it for 5,000.00? The letter said they could see is this true? What can I do?

Property Taxes on Property sold for estate settlement. [ 1 Answers ]

We have sold property in Indiana that will be part of and estate settlement. The property sold for less than $100,000. The money from this property will be divided between the 6 children. What taxes will be owed for the sale of this property?

View more questions Search