Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    stevenjohn Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 8, 2011, 01:38 AM
    What are the laws on serving alcohol?
    I work in a Care Home. We have a bistro and bar but do not charge for anything so its free. So we do not need a license, what age can someone serve behind this bar?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 01:57 AM

It all depends on your location.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2011, 03:33 AM

ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area. Most areas do require a liquor license to even serve alcoholic beverages. You should contact the local agency that issues such license to see if you need a license.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 05:42 PM

Yes, and without some more knowledge of the "care home" I will not even say for sure that you don't need a license and/or at least be registered,
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2011, 05:43 PM

First, may I call your attention to the guidelines for using the comments feature found here:

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/feedba...ure-24951.html

Your use of a negative comment was inappropriate.

Generally you have to be 21 but local laws may override that.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 8, 2011, 05:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenjohn View Post
    I work in a Care Home we have a Bistro and bar but do not charge for anything its free, so we do not need a licence, what age can someone serve behind this bar,??????
    Hello s:

Is this for service at a private party?? If so, you don't need a license and the server STILL needs to be 21, depending on where you live... However, if people PAY to live at the Care Home, and the home is the sponsor of the party, or you charge a cover, then you WILL need a liquor license... When I say private party, I mean one where a private individual pays for ALL the liquor and the guests aren't charged a door charge or a cover.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 05:55 PM

And in many places there are various types of licenses.
    Thus the question on how the care home ( exactly what it is,) I know what I think it is, but tell us what it is, and who the drink is being provided, we know it is not being given away, so who is paying for it, and on what occasion is it being served
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 09:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenjohn View Post
    I know we dont need a licence but wanted to know what age a person could serve drinks has to be
    And how many times do you have to be told: "that question cannot be answered without knowing what state (or country if not in the US) we are talking about"?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help, Positive ETG Alcohol test and no alcohol has been consumed? [ 21 Answers ]

And again. More failed ETGs. He is not drinking. What to do? Could there be something wrong with his liver? He DOES NOT drink.

If I was fined in usa for serving alcohol to a minor will that stop me re-entering? [ 4 Answers ]

Whilst on a h2b visa I was stopped by the police for serving alcohol to a minor, and went to court and was made to pay a fine. The set up was set all over avon so it was an organised operation. I wasn't taken to a police station just told to turn up at the town hall.. where I was fined Will this...

Laws on serving alcohol [ 3 Answers ]

I am a student currently studying at Birmingham City University. As part of my business cource I am investigating the possability of starting up and running a public house that had types of vending machines instead of bar staff that would serve beers and wines etc. to customers. It is thought...

View more questions Search