Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LoveAdelaide Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 7, 2011, 09:36 PM
    Can I get fired if I have a Doctors note to be our of work before my baby is due?
    I am currently due in a few weeks. At the last doctors appointment I had my doctor mentioned me leaving work a little early due to the stress at my job not being good for me or the baby (it has been bringing on contractions, and I have been having problems sleeping) and I have been also been having very bad hip and leg pains that some times make it nearly impossible to even stand. She basically recommended me being on bed rest and was going to write me a note to be out of work. I told her I didn't want to because honestly, being in NY, I am afraid I will lose my job. I have only been there for a few months (they know of my pregnancy) and I do not qualify for FMLA. I have my disability paperwork all set to go for when I have the baby (for the 6 weeks after), but is there anything additional I need to know if I end up NEEDING to be taken out of work early? And can I get fired if I have a doctors note? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 8, 2011, 03:39 AM

NY is an At Will employment state, so you can be fired for almost any reason. However, they can't fire you for being pregnant. They may be able to dock you pay depending on company policy. Did they know of your pregnancy before you were hired?

I would talk to your boss and tell them about the doctor's recommendation to make them aware you may have to start your pregnancy leave early.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    NY is an At Will employment state, so you can be fired for almost any reason. ...
    Actually, I don't think there are any states that don't, in some way or another, follow the employment "at will" rule, although many states recognize one or more of several exceptions to the rule.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can I be fired for being sick and having a doctors note to prove it? [ 3 Answers ]

I started a job two weeks ago and the3 second week I got strep throat and was told to take the week off with a doctors note to prove it, I called the super and told him what was going on and he said to come back when I was able too, then two days later I heard from a fellow crew member the super...

Can you get fired if you have doctors note for your absence [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I worked for a company for 2 year, within those to years I valentered and worked 24 straight hours many days, weekling getting form 100-115 hours a week in summrt time, finally when winter hits I started getting sick and I don't mean flu and something that nature, I was getting constepeted,...

View more questions Search