Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2011, 10:57 AM
    Adopting a dog
    If I adopt a dog, will the people who work at the shelter come to my house and inspect it?
    Does anyone know?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 11:01 AM

My local animal shelter - no. The rescue where I volunteer (occasionally) - yes.

Why is probably a good question, particularly in view of your other threads.

My local shelter verifies the info (landlord allows the pet, etc.).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:05 AM

You'd have to call each shelter to find out. Some do, and some don't. Either way, there is an application process and also probably a waiting period until the app is approved.

Be forewarned. If someone offers to give you a free or cheap puppy, there is probably going to be something wrong with it -- it's already sick or came from dirty surroundings and was with sick dogs, or was born and spent its young life in a cage without exercise and any love. If you go for free or cheap, you will get lots of problems and maybe will end up with a very sick or dead puppy.

If you want a healthy dog, go about this the right way, not the easy and cheap way.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:07 AM
    Will my house and land out side have to be perfect if they come to see my house?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:11 AM

What do you mean by "perfect"?

You're not getting photographed for House Beautiful magazine. The place should look comfortable and clean. The grass should be cut and no garbage or debris lying around in the yard. The house should be relatively clean but the shelter realizes people live there. Dishes should be washed and put away, clothes not lying around or hanging on furniture, the floors should be free of dust bunnies and dirt, furniture shouldn't be ripped up, the indoors smell should be agreeable (not sewage or urine), the residents of the home should be polite and not yelling at each other.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Like... if someone comes to my house, should I clean it in advance? Or would that be lying?

Jun 7, 2011, 11:21 AM
    Comment on snowball12's post
    Comes to my house to inspect.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:24 AM

Would cleaning be a three-day agony, or simply picking up stuff and putting it where it belongs? Pretend the minister or your doctor is coming over. How would you want your house to look?

If your house is normally a dump and you have to spend hours or even days cleaning, yes, that's lying.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:28 AM
    Umm... I don't really know, we try to keep the house clean but sometimes it is a disaster. Usually we have a clean up on saturdays
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball12 View Post
    umm... I dont really know, we try to keep the house clean but sometimes it is a disaster. usually we have a clean up on saturdays
    Tell me three things that make it a disaster.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:32 AM
    Clutter on the counter tops and table, Stuff dropped on the floor that's not picked up, Cloths and stuff (in my room)

Jun 7, 2011, 11:33 AM
    I mean "clothes"
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:36 AM

Like I said, the shelter people understand that you live there and can't keep the house looking like a magazine all the time. Is the house generally clean under the "disaster"? -- cabinets without food smears and drippings on the doors, stove and refrig free of grease and dark fingermarks, curtains and drapes not ripped or dirty?

Jun 7, 2011, 11:38 AM
    No.. out house is not like that (I think) The problem is... I HATE cleaning. Do you have any cleaning advise?

Jun 7, 2011, 11:39 AM
    I mean "our"
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:39 AM

I volunteer at a shelter as well as help with an adoption agency for dogs, the agency does house calls, and it would have to pretty darn yucky for that to be taken into consideration. We mostly look for space (land and house), we look to see if it is an animal friendly neighborhood, and if you have other pets, how they react around strangers and if they look healthy. The shelter I volunteer for does not have the time nor the man power to make house calls. We do ask people to fill out the application, and we check references and vets, and make our decision based on that and the phone interview we do.

We don't care if your house is un-tidy, although a clean house does look better, it's not the deciding factor. We especially watch for any hoarding indications. That is a big thing for us. If there are any indications of hoarding we usually decline the applicant.

Jun 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    What do you mean by "hoarding"?

Jun 7, 2011, 11:41 AM
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball12 View Post
    Papers and clothes and bags of stuff lying around all over the place and not sorted through or put away -- like those TV shows where people can't give up stuff and the stuff takes over their house.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 11:44 AM

Have you ever seen the show Hoarders? People who suffer from animal or regular hoarding.

Compulsive hoarding (or pathological hoarding or disposophobia) is the excessive acquisition (collection and acquiring) of possessions (and failure to use or discard them), even if the items are worthless, hazardous, or unsanitary. Compulsive hoarding impairs mobility and interferes with basic activities, including cooking, cleaning, showering, and sleeping.

I asked in another thread, but do you mind telling us how old you are? :)

Have you guys decided on a dog yet? It seems like you are taking your time and asking all the right questions, so I bet you guys will have no problem with adopting. Is your mom just as excited as you are?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting a Dog [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm sad to say that my girl will soon be moving away fro grad school, and although we agreed that we will stick it out and stay together, we also agreed that she should take our Jack Russell so she's not alone. With that being said I will soon want to adopt a dog. I'm thinking...

Adopting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 23 years old just recently got married in march this year I have a 4 year old son who is not my husbands son could you help us my husband want's to know how he can adoped my son and how much it will cost thanks :confused:

Adopting A Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my family have always had a dog but our last one recentley died. My dad is allergic but likes dogs. Me and my mom are thinking about adopting a rescued pug puppy, my dad says no but I think I can convince him somehow, how can I?

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

View more questions Search