Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowball12 Posts: 141, Reputation: 0

Jun 7, 2011, 11:48 AM
    Oh.. them my mom is the opposite. She is really good at throwing stuff out! I think right now our house is in good condition! Except for part of out kitchen (we are redoing our kitchen cabinets and stuff so we had to load the stuff that used to be in the old cabinets onto the floor of our room that's part of out kitchen!

Jun 7, 2011, 11:51 AM
    My mom is not exited too much... they are only giving me a dog because I really want one. But I am not allowed to get one before until August, September, or October. I am the only one who is excited. Hahaha. But it is really sweet of my family to let me get a dog! :)

Jun 7, 2011, 11:52 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Wow.. that's really messy!!

Jun 7, 2011, 11:53 AM
    Comment on snowball12's post
    I mean "then"
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 11:59 AM

"Getting a dog," raising a puppy, requires the cooperation of everyone. Will your parents help with training and housebreaking the dog? If you are the only one who thinks this is a good idea it could be a very unhappy experience for everyone, including the dog.

I don't do the actual inspection BUT I do know that the people who do look for things the puppy can get into, particularly harmful cleaners and the like, in plain view. They make certain that the people adopting know puppies are inquisitive, chew, get into everything they can find. You can try but you cannot police them 24 hours a day.

Jun 7, 2011, 12:09 PM
    What? I think my whole family will love the dog. I think!

Jun 7, 2011, 12:10 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    Are you saying that someone will try to kill the dog unpurpose?? I'm so confused??
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:19 PM

are you saying that someone will try to kill the dog unpurpose??? im so confused???

Puppies are like human toddlers -- they get into stuff you never would have thought about. Just a day or so ago, someone posted on here that her puppy was bleeding and wouldn't drink and wouldn't move. She thought he had gotten into the garbage and swallowed rib bones from their supper. By morning, the dog was dead after bleeding all night. He might have had torn intestines from the bones or been suffering from parvo. That's why you have to outthink your puppy and what he might get into. You have to puppy-proof your house.

(Do you know what parvo is?)
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:22 PM

Also, it costs money to own a puppy -- vet care, shots, maybe emergency vet care, leash, collar, toys, dishes, kennel, obedience school.

Jun 7, 2011, 12:31 PM
    What is parvo?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:34 PM

It's a very contagious virus that puppies can get.

Canine parvovirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If the puppy shows any signs of this, you must get him to a vet asap.

Jun 7, 2011, 12:37 PM
    I really don't want that to happen to my future dog :( :( :(: :(
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by snowball12 View Post
    I really dont want that to happen to my future dog :( :( :(: :(
    That's why adopting an adult dog (not a puppy) might be a good idea, simply because parvo won't be a problem plus some training has already taken place. With a puppy, you have to be especially alert to any changes in behavior or eating habits.

Jun 7, 2011, 12:42 PM
    But I really want a puppy though... what do you suggest??
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:46 PM

Like I said before, read up on puppies and what to expect. When they are teething, they will chew on everything. Someone in your house has to be the alpha person, so the puppy learns obey that person instantly. Having a puppy is a lot of responsibility -- not just a furry thing to roll around with and pet now and then.

What will the puppy do when you're at school? What if no one is at home? Where will the puppy be then? How will you train the puppy to pee and poop outside?

Jun 7, 2011, 12:55 PM
    Well.. if the puppy poops or pees in the house... I will scold it. And bring him/her/ outside
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:58 PM
    well.. if the puppy poops or pees in the house... i will scold it. and bring him/her/ outside
    How will you scold it? Will you smack it too, maybe with a rolled up newspaper?

Then the next time the puppy pees or poops in the house, what will you do? And the next time? And the time after that?

What about during the night, say, to a.m. and the puppy starts crying and even howling? Then what?

Where will the puppy sleep at night?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 7, 2011, 01:02 PM
    well.. if the puppy poops or pees in the house... i will scold it. and bring him/her/ outside

You are in this WAY over your head. You need to do some research BEFORE you (or your parents) purchase a puppy.

They have the attention span of a gnat. Unless you catch the puppy in the act it will have no idea why it's being punished.

I see dogs which are returned or turned in to shelters every single day because are not prepared to raise a dog.

Adult dogs often come with their own sets of problems.

How do your parents feel about paying for Vet bills (which can be sizable)? And neutering?

Jun 7, 2011, 01:03 PM
    He/she will probably sleep in my room in a crate or a bed. And I probably won't hit it. And if she/he had to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night... I would probably ask someone to come with me out side :) And do you have any suggestions on how to properly train a puppy to go to the bathroom out side??

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adopting a Dog [ 5 Answers ]

Hello all, I'm sad to say that my girl will soon be moving away fro grad school, and although we agreed that we will stick it out and stay together, we also agreed that she should take our Jack Russell so she's not alone. With that being said I will soon want to adopt a dog. I'm thinking...

Adopting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I am 23 years old just recently got married in march this year I have a 4 year old son who is not my husbands son could you help us my husband want's to know how he can adoped my son and how much it will cost thanks :confused:

Adopting A Puppy [ 6 Answers ]

Me and my family have always had a dog but our last one recentley died. My dad is allergic but likes dogs. Me and my mom are thinking about adopting a rescued pug puppy, my dad says no but I think I can convince him somehow, how can I?

How to go about adopting... [ 3 Answers ]

Where do you begin to adopt a child? What is the best route? My life partner & I want a baby to love. We are not legally "partners"/ or married as of yet. Should I go about this as single before we legalize? I don't know legally how we can go about this, what the laws are in Fla. In a...

Looking into adopting [ 2 Answers ]

Hi my soon to be husband and I have been looking into adopting a child/newborn with down syndrome has anyone done this or have a child with downs we are just starting to look into this we would like to adopt after we get married! We both have a lot of expereince working with children youth etc with...

View more questions Search