Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 10:24 AM
    Ick or ammonia poisoning?
    I am pretty sure my fish have Ick, they have the white salt like spots all over them, and have recently lost 4-5 fish in one day! Including my beautiful year old angle fish. :( I have done a 20-25% water change last night and have treated the water with mela fix, and other water treatments (cycle and the nutrafin aquarium water treatment). My Gourami's are laying on the bottom of the tank with enlarged eyes. I have put some peas in the tank, as well as some aquarium salt and melafix, but I will not be able to get to the pet store until tomorrow at the earliest. I don't want to loose any more fish! Is there anything else I can do?
    losttherace Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Jun 7, 2011, 03:15 PM
    http://www.savemysickfish.com/diseases/
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 03:37 PM

Thank you for the link, it was very helpful.
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jun 8, 2011, 09:23 AM
    Super ick if you used salt, otherwise aquarisol. Ick has a 5-7 day life cycle and as the cysts are born the 7 day treatment kills all of them. Raising the temp quickens their life cycle. 85 is recommended.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 8, 2011, 03:02 PM

I've used salt and it turns out probably too much, AND I have read most fish don't like ANY salt, such as Angel fish :( So I'm probably the reason he died. Do you know if Gouarmi's and platy's like salt?

Jun 8, 2011, 06:03 PM
    They will probably tolerate it better than angels and tetras. Do water changes to get the salt down.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 04:05 AM

So I am pretty sure my Ich is gone, I am now down to 3 fish :( Can I use the same carbon that I took out? It's BRAND new and was only in the tank for about a week, if that. My water has VERY high levels of iron, what should I do o neutralize this for the fish?

Jun 14, 2011, 05:22 AM
    Yes you can keep the carbon. Did you test the water for iron? Normal iron levels will be detoxified with a water conditioner that also removes metals. The use of Reverse osmosis is the best but of course the most costly.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 11:23 AM

I've never had the water tested, but I know there are high iron levels due to the condition of my toilette bowl and other appliances. What do you mean by a water conditioner? Like the normal conditioner that I use to treat the water before water changes?
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 11:24 AM

How do you do a reverse osmosis?

Jun 14, 2011, 06:05 PM
    Yes, the label should state it detoxifies metals. It's the regular water dechlorinator. You would have to buy a reverse osmosis unit.$$$$$ I'm too cheap to buy it myself, never used one in all these years. Just use the water conditioner, you'll be fine.

P.S. The calcium build up in you faucets etc comes from HARD water. Not sure if your iron would be high.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 14, 2011, 06:12 PM

It's like rust and stuff in the toilette bowls. When I pour a glass of water, it's brown. It's been tested for harmful things and it's potable I am pretty sure it's rust. I'll attach some pics later.

Jun 15, 2011, 05:26 AM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    Is it well water or municipal? Is there a filter in the water line,if not, that might be all you need.
    Dogs Expert

Jun 15, 2011, 04:44 PM

It's well and the well is only 2 years old. I was pricing out water softeners and filters, but they are fairly expensive for a student. I don't think there is a filter in the water line.

Jun 15, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Comment on Aurora_Bell's post
    I'm not that versed on wells. But if you are getting brown water it may be dirt. Maybe the well needs to be drilled deeper?
    I would have a whole house filter installed in the water line. Once installed, all you do is change the filter cartridge every so often. Depending on how much it's filtering out. Check them out at Lowe's o Home Depot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Did I have alcohol poisoning? [ 1 Answers ]

A while ago I went a little overboard with drinking I was pretty much anorexic and the most I'd eat a day would be like a piece of fruit or soemthing And drink coffee or w/e (I'm not anymore I was extremely unhealthy) I always suffered from lack of sleep so one night I drank 3-4 cups of coffee...

Food poisoning [ 3 Answers ]

I thoroughly defrosted some chicken pieces in a plastic bowl in the kitchen. The room temperature I would say was warm/cold, kitchen cold you know with that icy breeze that comes in kitchens. Anyway, the chicken had started to go from that frozen white colour to slightly brown. I cooked it, I...

Lead poisoning [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I am moving in an apartment where there is lead paint. In the apartment upstairs they will do Some renovations, including removing the wall papers, sand the walls and paint the walls. I am asking if it will be a problem for my health if the dust containing lead from upstairs will spread...

HELP! Pubic shaving rashes ICK! [ 4 Answers ]

OK I am totally desperate for some good advice here because this problem has been ongoing and totally frustating... so hia goes! OK I'm a young woman and have often shaved or waxed my pubic region for special occasions - usually its a trim to keep things neat - anyhow no matter what shaving...

Freshwater Fish Tank had ammonia,nitrites,ammonia again! [ 2 Answers ]

I am hoping someone can tell me what is going on. I unfortunately bought a new 33 gallon tank almost 6 weeks ago and the next day bought some fish. (1 Heroes Notatus(South American Cichlid), A Raphael Catfish, 6 Neon Tetras, 3 Glass Catfish and a goby Dragon) If I knew then what I know now then I...

View more questions Search