Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tpch70 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 09:02 AM
    Wife works and live in nj, I live and work in ny
    Due to my job in nyc, I have to maintain a residence nyc. I rent not own a house in nyc. My wife lives in a house with our kids in nj and also works there. How do we file for taxes.:confused:
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 28, 2007, 09:23 AM
    OPTION #1:

You should file jointly on your federal return. You file jointly in both states.

You will report your wife's income for sure on the NJ return. You may want to report your income as well and claim the credit offered by NJ for the taxes paid to NY, filing as a part-year resident of both NY and NYC.

OPTION #2:

You should file jointly on your federal return. You file jointly in both states.

You report as a NYC full-time resident, reporting only your NY-based income. Your wife reports as a NJ resident, reporting only her NJ-based income.

In both Option #1 and #2, you both get to claim your children on ALL returns.

OPTION #3:

You both file Married Filing Separately. The person who gets the biggest tax advantage claims the children on his/her return.

Which option is best? Absolutely no idea!!

I would need to know a variety of information (age of children, income levels for you and your wife, whether the children attended daycare, and other items) before I could run scenarios using tax software to determine which option would produce the lowest tax. I do this every year for a NJ couple who have been my clients for six years. One year, filing jointly produces the lowest tax, while the following year, the file separately because they pay slightly more in federal tax, but save more on the state taxes.

I cannot do this type of scenario work for free. I would have to receive compensation similar to what I would charge to prepare your tax returns. If you are interested, contact me at [email protected]. I can provide references from several of my NY- and NJ-based clients.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Live in NJ - Work in PA [ 10 Answers ]

I understood that there is an agreement between NJ/PA that residents working in the other state will have tax withheld for their state of residence. My employer followed that until this year. I now have PA state tax & local city tax withheld. They also just switched my sui from PA to NJ. ...

Live in NJ, work IN NY [ 4 Answers ]

This year I received 2 W2's (though I have just one job and one source of income). The Federal data is the same on both W2's. The state data is different, One states NJ in Box 15, They did not exculde the 403(b) contributions and so the number is higher than the federal wages (box 1). The other W2...

I live in pa and work in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to ask my human res. Here at my job this question but it seems like I am getting brushed off all the time I do not want to be penalized at the end of the year I have been working in this job since march of 2006 we just switched payroll and I get direct dep. So I never bothered looking...

Live in NY work in NJ [ 5 Answers ]

This is the reverse of some recent questions. I was transferred to a NJ office supposedly on a temporary basis. It was recently made permanent. Because of the temporary nature, they never changed my withholding and still haven't contacted me about doing so. So, right now, I only have NYS...

Live in NJ, work in NYC [ 3 Answers ]

Just got a job in NYC. I start on the 21st of Feb. What are my tax obligations? I heard working in NYC there is a city tax or something that I need to be aware of and put money aside for, is that true? Or do I just pay NY and Jersey State taxes inext April. Also, I am married and I read...

View more questions Search