Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JellyBean123 Posts: 52, Reputation: 1

Jun 6, 2011, 02:16 AM
    Bonding with my rat?
    Hi I have 2 pet rat who are nearly 7 month old, But I'm not sure if they are bonded to me, they will come see me and take food from my hand , climb al over me etc, but they all ways want to run on the floor and be doing something else, I don't know if it's that hey are babies and they want to explore (I let them run around my room)
    Does any one now how to bond with hem better?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 03:33 AM

What do you want from them by means of bonding? They come when they see you, they don't shy away from you. They are the same as any other animal. They have their own interests and do "rat" (or other animal) things independent of you.

What would you like them to do that they are not doing and are capable of doing?

Bonding comes with continued contact - playing, feeding, grooming.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 11:47 PM

I agree with Judy.

If they are happy to climb over you and let you pet them then job well done.

Mine are not overly friendly, they let me scratch their heads and back, they ride around on my shoulder, but they aren't as friendly as some of the videos I have seen on YouTube.

They key to getting them more friendly is just more handling, the more you hold them and touch them, the more they get used to it.

I used to set up play pens for mine.
    Get some large boxes and cut them open, tape them together and arrange them so they make a circle around you.
    The rats can't climb up the cardboard so you have a safe area for them to play in.
    You can then just sit in the middle and let them climb over you and get used to being with you in a small space.
    If you have a secure small room like a bathroom it can work too.
    I used to hide banana chips in my pockets to encourage them to climb over me.

Another way is to sit in the circle and get some old towels to put over your head and legs to make yourself a living tent, they love crawling around in dark places.

Jun 8, 2011, 11:01 AM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    I have them out for about 1 hour and a half on a weekend day an d 40 minuits on a normal day I play wity them groom them feed them give them the occasional treet but I think there bored in there cage so maby they just want to explore? Do you know any activitys I can do with them or maybe games?

Jun 8, 2011, 11:02 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Thanks ill try that =0)

Jun 8, 2011, 11:06 AM
    Comment on shazamataz's post
    Ohh and 1 of my rats keeps making a weasing noise? And my other 1 has a bald patch near the top of where his tail starts? Could you have any advise on that?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rat keeps peeing [ 4 Answers ]

I adopted my Rat 4months ago, from a pet shop. He was brought back in from previous owners for some reason, they couldn't tell me. Got him at 6months old, and he settled in really well. Him and my 3 yr old get on so good. We moved house recently, and when I get him out he pees everywere. Every 2...

Why does my rat keep peeing on me? [ 9 Answers ]

almost a week ago, me and my mum bought two male rats. we did our research beforehand, and we knew what we were taking on. yesterday i got MY rat out for a cuddle, but he is a little skittish. he immediately ran up my top, and stayed there for an hour. However, when I tried to pick him up and...

Smelling a RAT [ 5 Answers ]

More hopenchange. By Byron York Chief political correspondent 2/19/09 The far-reaching -- and potentially dangerous -- provision that no one knows about. You’ve heard a lot about the astonishing spending in the $787 billion economic stimulus bill, signed into law this week by President...

Rat bite [ 4 Answers ]

A friend of mine was bitten by a rat while eating in a mcdonalds. The rat bit him on his ankle. There were several witnesses. My friend is not too bright though. Can he be compensated for this?

View more questions Search