Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    areuready21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2011, 08:17 PM
    If the odds of winning a raffle are 2:229, what is the probability of winning?
    If the odds of winning a raffle are 2:229, what is the probability of winning?
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2011, 07:34 AM

You have 2 'ways' of winning the raffle and 229 'ways' to lose it. Probability here is expressed by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of outcomes. Can you find the probability now? Post what you get! :)
    NatuaralThinker Posts: 16, Reputation: 0

Jun 11, 2011, 07:13 AM
    2/229 * 100 = 0.9% Goodluck winning that ;)
    NT
    jcaron2 Posts: 986, Reputation: 204

Jun 24, 2011, 01:51 PM
    NT, it's actually slightly worse than that even! It's 2/231 because as Jerry said, the denominator is the total number of all outcomes, not just the negative ones.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Raffle odds [ 1 Answers ]

I guess I'm thinking too hard. If there is one prize and 300 tiks my odds would be 1 in 300 . If 1 prize and 600 tickets and I buy two, I'm told my odds are the same. My question is why is the odds the same ? If 1 out of 300 I could pull 299 before getting to my #. If 2 of 600 the I could pull...

Probability of Winning the Lottery [ 2 Answers ]

Hi folks, I'm running through a practice exam for a Stats midterm I have next week. There is one question in particular where I'm not sure how to get to the answer provided: "In an instant lottery, your chances of winning are 0.2. If you play the lottery five times and outcomes are...

Odds / probability winning fake lottery [ 1 Answers ]

Hello. My name is Zach. I have one question. It is not for any homework/schoolwork/college assignment etc, just a personal question. Also please note that this question is not regarding any actual lottery, there are no item prizes, money, or anything of any value to win. Assume for all intents...

View more questions Search