Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    buddyredmond876 Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2011, 06:45 PM
    Military career plan
    D I'm 13 years of age . I just finished the 7th grade and is passing on to 8th grade . I know I am little young to prepare for my career plan . But I am a slow learner and struggling with a mood disorder . So I like being organised . Which is a good characteristic of a military participant . I plan to become a us army officer . But I'm not sure which process to take to get there . There are many one can choose . I really want to do Junior ROTC in high school < which will boost my education of military basic knowledge and training and exspectations of my RECRUITER for ROTC. But I also want to get a degree in mechanics in college but wouldn't be able to because of rotc . SO I would really like to know any suggestion to help my plan .

Thanks so much ,
    Tyler
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 5, 2011, 07:04 PM

First and sorry to be blunt, but high school ROTC is great for any high school student, and it does teach you some, but it is not going to be that giant help in basic training and no help in AIT.

If you want to be an officer you will want to also go though ROTC in college. They are at almost all state colleges but you need to wait till you are closer to time to start deciding that.

As for as Jr ROTC, your high school either has one or it does not, it is not like at high school you have a choice of what school to go to.

If they don't, see if the local civil air patrol has a high school program.

Jun 5, 2011, 07:12 PM
    Thanks for your help and yes I really don't have a complete understanding of AIT . But a excellent of MOS and bct and all the phases .

And thanks , Yeah I reading that if your high school does not provide you with a JROTC program your out of luck , you can't attend another High school program while still attending your current high school .

But as you were saying to check my local civil air patrol to see if they provide one... I honestly don't know what this C.A.P. is aka Civil Air Patrol .

I would be happy if you could educate me on this and any other details .

Would apreciate it (:
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 5, 2011, 07:19 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by buddyredmond876 View Post
    But i also want to get a degree in mechanics in college but wouldnt be able to because of rotc .
    What? Yes you can, whole point of ROTC is to earn a degree and a commission in one go.
    But im not sure which process to take to get there . There are many one can choose
    To become a commissioned officer there isn't, there's just two. The other option is to earn your Bachelor's in mechanical engineering first, and then apply for Army OCS.

JROTC is a great option. It'll definitely increase your chances to gain acceptance into a ROTC program because it shows recruiters you are serious about a military career.

For the record, you're not too young to prepare for your career, and anyone who says that is jealous of your drive and ability to plan that far ahead into the future.

EDIT
    By mechanics, do you mean mechanical engineer, or an auto-mechanic?

Jun 5, 2011, 07:38 PM
    Thanks for your Answer . What I meant by I couldn't get a degree in mechanics because of Rotc... at the time I didn't have Your Knowledge of ROTC . By that I didn't know that was the whole point of rotc . I didn't know it was to provide you with your batchelors degree and officer training . And if you could I would love if you could educate me more on that .
    And thanks for that knowledge on rotc . By the way I have another question on rotc . But well get to that later .

Ohhh and by mechanic labor I meant automotive and heavy machinery... and I am also interested in aviation < because my Papa got a masters degree in it... and was offered a scholarship to rotc but he decide to become a elivator repair and maintennence worker . So that another side option .
    slapshot_oi Posts: 1,537, Reputation: 589
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 02:41 PM
    I didnt know it was to provide you with your batchelors degree and officer training . And if you could i would love if you could educate me more on that .
    The only other thing I can tell you is ROTC programs are competitive, and they're more popular in private institutions because tuition in private universities are always higher. So, you may apply for a ROTC program but not be accepted, at which point, the Army Reserves would be you're next, immediate option.

Another thing to think about is whether you want to be a CO right off the bat. Instead of enrolling in ROTC, you can enlist in the Army Reserves, graduate, and then decide to get your commission through OCS.

Because you want to do mechanic labor, I'd recommend researching the ASVAB (Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) and take it as soon as you can, to give you a better idea of the job that you'd like to have in the Army. You might find that you qualify for large arms repair and may choose to do that instead of automotive repair.

Here are the possible options for you to have a career in the US Army.
    • Enroll in ROTC and earn degree
    • Enlist in the Army Reserves, enroll in ROTC and earn degree
    • Enlist in the Army Reserves, earn degree, then apply for OCS
    • Enlist in the Army Reserves, earn degree, become active

No matter what route you choose in the Army, I highly recommend you earn a Bachelor's degree.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Military to Military Marriage Different Home of Records [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I both are active duty military and we have two different "Home of Records". My husband is a NC resident and I am a TN resident (no state tax) I am trying to file MFJ for federal. Everything went well until I went to file state taxes for him. How do I do this? Can I file federal...

I got married to a military guy, and we got military housing [ 6 Answers ]

MY husband and I became eligible for base housing and took it, because the only time we would move in was that day. In my old apartment lease there is a military clause. However I got the apartment before I became married, and my husband is not on the lease. My landlord is saying that the military...

View more questions Search