Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ellieandjess Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2011, 05:16 PM
    Two dwarf hamsters have died 6 months old separate cages separate rooms
    I have tonight found my two white dwarf hamsters dead in their cages. They are in separate cages in separate rooms.I have only had them 6 months - I had to separate them after about a month as they were fighting. They were in large plastic rotastak cages - loads of room each - in separate rooms because of the size of the cages as I was keen to let them have loads of room and some tunnels. I made the rotostaks parts up as recommended for dwarfs. I also have a third hamster -a syrian which also has loads of room (had this about 5 months) the syrian is fine and was in the same room as one of the dwarfs. I have just changed their food brand. I wondered if it could be anything to do with the food, or could it maybe be the heat? I could have probably more understood it being heat in respect of the one in the lounge but the others are in the kitchen sitting area - which is much more airy than the lounge. I am new to hamsters and am worried that I have done something wrong as I am a real pet lover. I am not inclined to get any more although I know the kids will be disappointed. I would like to know what it could be though if anyone has any ideas.
    Emily94 Posts: 1,129, Reputation: 64
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2011, 07:51 AM

It could have been the heat, there tiny little guys so they would easily over heat. They could have been diseased/sick when you got them and it just caught up to them now. If you were using shavings it could have been a respiratory disease, something you cleaned there cages with (or around the cage with)... To many things to list.

I suggest you scrub down the cage with 1 part bleach to 20 parts water to disinfect the cages.

Sorry for your loss, don't blame yourself, every pet owner has made a few mistakes, with hamsters a tiny mistake can be fatal.
    hamsters2 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2011, 07:49 PM
    Your hamster may have had heatstroke.or the syrian hammy may have killed it
    Cricket2970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 05:40 AM
    If your family uses non-stick pans, the non-stick covering leaches into the air during use. This is a cancer suspect, but I've been warned it could kill a bird. Therefore, it could be part of your problem. Maybe your living one needs a checkup.
    Cricket2970 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 05:46 AM
    If your family uses non-stick pans, the non-stick covering leaches into the air during use. This is a cancer suspect, but I've been warned it could kill a bird. Therefore, it could be part of your problem. Maybe your living one needs a checkup.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Two dwarf hamsters died same day [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, I had two lovely dwarf hamsters until this morning. When we woke up we found both dead and one had eaten the other. They where both fine and running around last night before we went to bed, Can anybody let us now what happened?

What is legal age for brother and sister to sleep in separate rooms? [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 15yr old son, who is sharing with his mentally challenged brother of 13yrs. He wants his own space desperatly, but my 11yr old daughter occupies the other room. Where do I stand legally if I allow my 13yr old son and daughter to share so my teen can have his own room?

Wife wants to separate [ 7 Answers ]

We were married in the USA. We lived in the USA for 3 years. We lived in France for 3.5 years. I returned to the US in January to find work as did not find much in France. I have secured a good job now. My wife does not want to move to the USA but instead wants to separate. What are the...

View more questions Search