Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kentc Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2011, 11:00 AM
    I was born in France of American parents and have been a US citizen for many years.
    Can I obtain dual citizenship and if so, what process do I follow?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Jun 9, 2011, 03:11 PM

A child born in France to foreign parents may acquire French citizenship:

At birth, if stateless.
    At age 18, if resident in France with at least 5 years' residence since age 11.
    At age 16 upon request by the child and if resident in France.
    At age 13 upon request by the child's parents and if resident in France.
    If born in France of parents born before independence in a colony/territory in the past under French sovereignty.
    At birth, if born in France before January 1, 1994.
    At age 18, if born in France on or after January 1, 1994.
    GVelasquez Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2011, 11:08 AM
    So I guess I don't understand, if I have a French Birth Certificate and been in the US since I was 6 months of age, do I already have dual citizenship or should I apply for it and is it possible for me to obtain it?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to obtain french citizenship if born in france of american parents [ 1 Answers ]

How to obtain french citizenship if born in france of american parents

Born in france to american parents. [ 2 Answers ]

Can I get a French citizenship if I was born in France, lived in France for 8 years, speak French and will be returning to France to teach English and as a music artist? Do you know if I have to be living in France first to qualify? My parents are both from the U.S. Thank you so much :-)

I was born in Paris, France in 1970 an am a us citizen. How do I become french too? [ 1 Answers ]

I was born in Paris in 1970 and declared US citizenship at age 16. Can I now apply to be a French citizen as well?

Born in France to an american Father [ 1 Answers ]

I havea friend who's American Father was working for the Secret Service in France when she was born to her French Mother. She has been told she could be deported to France and was brought here in 1962.. she was born in 1961. She has never been to France. IS she considered an american citizen? She...

View more questions Search