Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jakester Posts: 582, Reputation: 165

Jun 2, 2011, 01:06 PM
    Car stalls when coming to a stop
    I have a 2003 Kia Spectra (automatic trans).

Lately, whenever I come to a stop and brake, my car stalls. All I have to do is shut the car off and turn the key in the ignition and it starts right up again.

It doesn't do it all the time, only seems to happen if the car hasn't been driven for a few hours: usually, it happens first thing in the morning on my way to work and at lunch time when I drive to lunch. If I've been driving the car for awhile, it's fine.

Any thoughts?
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 2, 2011, 02:08 PM
    Thoughts:

. Check for codes.

. Check the idle rpm.

. Replace platinum spark plugs, if they have not been changed in 50,000 miles.

. Check the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor. It may not be delivering a rich enough fuel mixture, when the engine is not at normal operating temperature.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jun 4, 2011, 08:38 AM

There is an ECM software update, 3EN009, that may address this but you might also have a sticking or sluggish Idle Air Control Valve IACV. Get a quality throttle plate cleaner from your local parts store and follow the instructions on the lable.
    bazhulk Posts: 12, Reputation: -2

Jun 8, 2011, 03:24 AM
    Service the car,plugs air oil fuel filters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tach is out and car stalls every 10 seconds. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a '01 Honda Civix Lx 4 door. I was dribing.my car one night, then all of a sudden my battery light came on and my tachometer went out. Then my car wouldn't shift into the next gear. So I shut it off and then restarted it. When I tried to put it in drive it jerks real hard then ill drive.like...

89 honda civic stalls when downshifting or coming to a stop [ 2 Answers ]

Changed pcv valve, o2 sensor, oil plugs, wires, fuel filter, main relay, distributor, Already has new clutch. When making turns, etc. the car stalls when downshifting into a lower gear.If Itake it out of that gear, it runs again and it lets me down shift then. It also happens when coming to a...

My car stalls while driving [ 2 Answers ]

Within 10 to 15 minutes of driving my car it stalls out "but" well start again very qickly. But when putting it in drive well stall right away. Will only move a few inches and then stall. If I wait awhile it will start and go for about 5 or so minutes and stall all over again.

When cold my car starts but stalls after a few minutes [ 3 Answers ]

When cold overnight my 92 Merc. 300SL starts but after driving for a few minutes it stalls. It then will restart and run fine for the rest of the day. I have had new fuel pumps installed, a recent tune up and many parts replaced e.g. Overload sensor, wiring harness, etc. Any suggestions? Thanks......

Car stalls while driving [ 8 Answers ]

My 84 Crown Vic seems to be turning itself off at any speed. It is very sporadic, sometimes runs for weeks, then has days of turning itself off. I've replaced the distributor control module, the coil, the fuel pump, the ignition swith and lock to no avail.

View more questions Search