Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kelj222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2011, 01:38 PM
    Wrongfully Suspended from work
    I work in a place where there are always students around learning the job. I was being goofy with one of them one afternoon and I tossed her book on the floor. We were both laughing, there was nothing that lead me to believe she did not think it was funny. Well, another cooworker went and told on me and said I meanly threw this girls book on the floor. My director called her and she stated that she didn't think it was funny. She was lauging at the time. The question was never brought up if she actually thought I was being mean to her or if she just didn't find my playfulness very funny. So, I have been suspended for 2 days. I have worked at the job for 5 years. I feel that my boss feels threatned by me. I am younger than her, I have the same degree as her, which most people don't, and I am getting married in two weeks. I don't know if I need to go to our HR to discuss this issue and to see if a 3rd party should bring this student in and talk to her. I am pretty certain that this student would not state that she thought that I was just being flat out mean. She may not of thought it was funny but my intention was not to hurt her any anyway. When I tried explaing this to my superiors they continue to take the students side. I was very upset at the time that I did not write anything on the write up and looking back I feel that I should have been able to state my story because the report made me sound like an aweful person.. what should I do?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 01:52 PM

Apologize and move on. Your behavior was less than professional and it backfired on you. In most jobs you could have been terminated rather than just suspended.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 1, 2011, 03:22 PM

Let me see you have a degree, and you are "fooling" around like a high school kid, throwing someone's book to the ground.

Even the horse play or fooling around is reason to get a warning or be suspended. And it did not matter if the other person was offended by it or not, your behavior was very (and did I say very) unprofessional.

And I doubt your boss is threated, younger also sounds like acting childish, and with the behavior you just said and not seeing it was wrong, shows you are far from management material.

I would go and tell everyone I was sorry, hope it does not go on your record and move on.

If you can't learn or accept what you did was totally wrong, I see a lot more wrong
    kelj222 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 2, 2011, 07:36 AM
    Comment on Fr_Chuck's post
    Wow, that was harsh. It is easy to judge and say that I was acting childish. Everyone jokes and plays around at work, that's what keeps things from being so serious and boring. You can't honestly tell me that you never joke around or laugh at work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Suspended Licence + Work + Probation [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I know this is going to sound dumb but I really need a "honest" and "helpful" answer. When I was 18 (Roughly 10 months ago) I stole a car and I didn't have my licence at all and I got caught during the act, yes I know it was a VERY VERY bad decision of me to do so but I really need help. I...

Suspended at work [ 4 Answers ]

I was wanting to know if I have a lawsuit case for the following. I was recently suspended for insabordination from 2008. I work at a bank and I was asked back in 2008 to put locks on all teller cash boxes in which another employee was going to help me with time past on and I forgot all about...

Driver's license wrongfully suspended [ 3 Answers ]

My fiancé was pulled over in December for failing to use a turn signal. He actually did use it, but he didn't realize it wasn't working. When the police officer realized the signal was broken, he was nice about it, and told my fiancé that he had a week to bring the car down and show him it was...

Got wrongfully terminated can I do anything? [ 7 Answers ]

I had been working at a company almost a year, after seven months I was promoted one week after that my immediate supervisor was terminated. They never replaced my boss (they were "trying") so I was all alone with no one to train me I literately had to learn on my own, I worked at a high end car...

Suspended from work [ 4 Answers ]

Hi there. I av been suspended from work pending further enquireis as I av been accused of theft from the company I work with. They showed me a pile of receipts and said that I have been signing the reciepts and making faulse addresses as the transaction numbers are false and that they...

View more questions Search