Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brokenpipes Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 05:28 PM
    Does backflow affect water pressure
    I'm having trouble with high water pressure on my fire sprinkler system. No one can figure out why. Does the backflow have any thing to do with pressure? That is the only replaceable part besides the gauge. Could something be stuck in the water pipes leading into the house? I am at a loss and so is everyone else. I live in a townhouse and no other neighbors have this problem.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 05:48 PM
    Do you mean you have a back flow preventer? If so, I guess if the temperature fluctuated, you could get the same pressure build up as they cause in hot water tanks. Fill the system with cold water, prevent back flow, and let it warm up. The water expands and the excess volume has to go somewhere. There is no stopping the expansion of heated water. If that is the case, you may need to add an expansion tank like for a hot water heater.

Perhaps your neighbors keep a more regular temperature.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 28, 2007, 06:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by brokenpipes
    I'm having trouble with high water pressure on my fire sprinkler system. No one can figure out why. Does the backflow have any thing to do with pressure? That is the only replaceable part besides the gauge. Could something be stuck in the water pipes leading into the house? I am at a loss and so is everyone else. I live in a townhouse and no other neighbors have this problem.
    Is the sprinkler system on a separate system then the house ? What kind of PSI are we talking about? How high? Is there a PRV, (Pressure Relief Valve) installed? Are you in a condo with common areas? Let me know. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Low water pressure oil hot water heating system [ 1 Answers ]

How does one go about increasing water pressure in a baseboard heating system?

House water pressure from well losing pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I have a well at my home that provides the primary water . I have replaced the well pump with a new one, the pressure tank was bad replaced it, pressure switch was bad replaced it. Now I cannot maintain pressure through out my house. The initial pressure is good for about 10 seconds then it slowly...

Steam Furnace Dripping from Backflow Preventer [ 1 Answers ]

Hey all - I have a pretty new furnace (about 3yo.) and just recently had to replace the thermocouple. While the heating guy was over, he let me know that I should be flushing the system weekly to drain off the sludge. He then drained the system of about 2 buckets of filthy water, and refilled...

Low water pressure in an area known for high pressure [ 3 Answers ]

Greetings, My wife and I are in the process of updating 1957 side by side split level. The previous owner (OK, my Mom as I bought the house I grew up in from her) said that when they moved in they had to install a pressure reducer into the line. I have searched high and low but, I can't see...

View more questions Search