Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 27, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Relativity and suchlike
    The attraction between two objects due to gravity is given by:

a = (m1+m2)/d^2

Mass changes with velocity, such that:

as v approaches c, m approaches infinity.

So, with a sufficiently distant object, a gravitational force acting on an object of mass m in a vacuum, the object will increase its velocity v towards the distant object. V will increase unbounded, as there is no counteracting force present. This means that m will increase unbounded as well, due to the relationship posited above.

Under normal reasoning, speeds greater than or equal to c are impossible, due to the impossibility of having an engine capable of moving infinite mass.

However, acceleration due to gravity increases with the mass of the object, so the motive force will be increasing proportionally to the mass. Indeed, the motive force will increase faster than the mass due to the effect of decreasing distance. So, as v increases towards c, and m increases towards infinity, a will also increase towards infinity, as m + m2 will approach infinity and d^2 will be approaching zero.

Is it then possible for gravity to accelerate an object past the speed of light?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 05:47 PM
    You're using relativistic conditions with non-relativistic equations.

The equation you state is an approximation for speeds << c.

Have you studied relativity? If you use relativistic equations you will see that the speed of light is the limit.

It's past midnight here, so I don't have the brainpower to go into detail, but if you want me to I can do so another day?
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Jan 27, 2007, 06:03 PM
    I knew I had to be missing something important :)

I studied it briefly in Physics 3, which was split up roughly 1/2 optics, 1/3 thermo, and 1/6 relativity, but that's been five years and I really don't remember as much as I should (I remember most of the optics, though, and a good chunk of the thermo). Most of the relativity concepts that I remember are in the effects on time and spacial dimensions.

I'll have to dig out the old physics book and remind myself about all of it.

No need to go through it unless you just want to... I was just pondering that stuff instead of doing the work that I needed to be doing :)
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Heh, ponderings are always fun to talk through :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Physics-special relativity [ 2 Answers ]

I've got a physics problem that I haven't been able to solve Help! A rocketship, travelling away from earth with a speed of 0.8c sends regular radio signals which are received on Earth every 45.2 min. According to the rocketship astronauts, how frequently are the signals being sent? :confused:

Theoretical experiment on relativity [ 1 Answers ]

Consider a train , its proper length = 375000 km , traveling at a speed of 180000 km/sec (0.6 of speed of light) relative to person (name him B) Consider a beam of light that travels in the same direction of the train The train traveler (name him A) will measure the train length = 375000 km...

View more questions Search