Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    avshuks Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 09:06 AM
    H1B Visa buying a primary house
    I am HIB visa holder and planning to buy a primary house in Florida. Should I buy the house in my name alone to get Tax benefit or can I buy it jointly with my wife and still get Tax benefit as I am the only earning member of the family. My wife does not work .

How much tax benefit will I get if I buy a house.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2011, 06:03 AM
    Both names on the deed or not doesn't affect your taxes. You file a joint return with your wife and that in itself is a tax advantage, since she doesn't work (and I presume has no unearned income). You can take out the mortgage in just your name if you want, so that the bank only asks for financials on you.

I can't answer the question about your tax deductions on H1B.
    In general, a mortgage is a very good deduction, especially since it's almost all interest at first, and that's what you are deducting. Paying cash for a house gets you nothing except the property tax deduction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Buying a bankruptcy house on court house steps [ 6 Answers ]

I seen a house in the legal section of our local newspaper that is being sold on the court house steps to the highest bidder. I actually drove to the house and talked to the current owners. They said they are going into bankruptcy and that is why the house is being sold. They even let me tour...

H1B holder that married a US Citizen. Is H1B visa still good? [ 2 Answers ]

I need to know if after I apply for my conditional green card, I can still used my H1b to travel outside the US.

F-1 Visa & Buying a House [ 1 Answers ]

My girlfriend (British citizen) has just received her F1 visa for graduate study starting this August. We are considering buying a house together in the area where she will go to school (I work in the area). She wouldn't be on the mortgage, but would be on the deed (she would essentially be...

View more questions Search