Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    locutus59 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 08:33 AM
    How do I unlocked encrypted hard drive ?
    My PC crashed , I had loads of photos on a secondary hard drive . When I put the hard drive on my new PC as an external the files appear as locked though I can see the individual jpeg's I cannot open them as I do not have permission . As I have several hundred photos going back years getting a professional to retrieve them is out of the question . Any suggestions ?
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 31, 2011, 08:58 AM

For decryption, the utility used to encrypt the drive and the encryption key or pass-phrase used to generate the key will be needed. Are these available?

If this is a file system permissions issue rather than an encryption issue, take ownership of the files or folders through their property dialog's advanced security interface (Windows?) using an administrative account and adjust the permissions to give your user account full or modify rights.

May 31, 2011, 09:20 AM
    Hi Scleros , The drive was set as private on my PC ,it was a secondary drive D I think , and was then colored green I think when the icon appeared on "my Computer ", I was running XP . The PC itself had a major power supply failure that fried both the power supply and a large part of my mother board . I bought a new PC and removed the hard drives .When I bought and external caddy and connected it to my new PC hard drive "C " was totally wrecked and was dead , hard drive "D" still showed all my folders and individual jpeg icons within them with the file sizes of the original photos but won't allow me to open them as it says I don't have permission . I need to know if there is some software or method of changing the permissions on the drive to allow me to access the contents . As I say I have hundreds of family photos on the drive , I thought by backing them up on a separate drive (D) they would be safe if anything happened to the original drive (C) . I was only partly right as they are still there , just not available to me unless I am will to pay hundreds of £ ' s to have them professionally recovered . I now have a laptop running windows 7 , and also an iMac running OS X 10.6.7 in case recovery is dependent on a specific OS.

Many thanks for your quick response , Willie ( locutus59 )
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 09:38 AM
    Well we need to figure out if the issue is permissions or encryption; they are two different things.

Try this: How to take ownership of a file or a folder in Windows XP

May 31, 2011, 09:58 AM
    I believe it to be permissions as I never ran anything other than the basic XP programs , no third party encryption or anything like that . I was the administrator and set up my profile as Private so no body could delete or mess up the photos on the files . I had no problems accessing them until I had to move the secondary drive containing them to a caddy to be used as an external drive. When I run the external drive on my laptop it allows me to see the permissions but won't allow me to change them . When this happened a couple of years ago I even named my replacement PC with the same name as the old one and used the same logon passwords etc , but to no avail. I never needed to use any kind of password etc once I was logged onto the PC to access the files originally before my PC went boom .

So I believe it is not an encryption more a permission issue that has arisen because I swapped the drive form one PC to a new one .
    Scleros Posts: 2,165, Reputation: 262
    Hardware Expert

May 31, 2011, 12:45 PM

Right-click the pictures' top level folder and select Properties. Click the Security tab and select the Advanced button. Click the Owner tab and select your account as owner. Select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects" and click OK. See if you have access.

Or, follow Karma's link that I just noticed. Doh!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

How to change from a eide drive to a larger sata hard drive [ 1 Answers ]

When I clone my original eide hd to a larger sata hd I can't get the sata drive to boot. It keeps giving the hal.sys not correct message or corrupt.I can replace the original eide hd and it works fine. I have other sata devices installed (a second hard drive ) and they work fine I use Paragon back...

How to format a hard drive on a dell desktop with XP home edition and no floppy drive [ 18 Answers ]

How do I format a hard drive on a Dell Dimension 8110 with Windows XP home edition 2007 without a floppy drive? I tried to follow answers to some similar qustions posted previously on this site but when I do I get messages like "what's the disk volume label" from the command prompt window after...

USB External Hard Drive (drive connect problem) [ 7 Answers ]

After connecting my external hard drive to a usb port. Assigns to a used drive F. to get to the ext hd I have to disconnect F then I'm able to open the ext hd. How can I get the ext. hd to go to the next available drive letter or can I assign one?

View more questions Search