Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hope12 Posts: 159, Reputation: 25

May 31, 2011, 06:32 AM
    Explanation of what one believes.
    Hello Everyone,

Jesus Christ is a leader, his apostles were his followers. Why do you feel they followed Jesus? They believed what
    He taught. We today follow what we are taught, if we think about what we are taught and believe with our whole heart and mind, should we be able to explain why we beieve what we do? What do you think?

Peace,
    Hope 12
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 06:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Hope12 View Post
    We today follow what we are taught, if we think about what we are taught and believe with our whole heart and mind,, should we be able to explain why we beieve what we do?
    But that's the same reasoning cult followers have as well.

May 31, 2011, 08:30 AM
    Hello NeedKarma,

But that's the same reasoning cult followers have as well
    Not really, a cult is out to make money from followers, by brainwashing them. They have evil person who are good talkers and confuse peiple into following them. A person who is a thinking persons tests what they hear and choose to follow it or not.

Example: A parent will teach a child not to touch the stove because they will get burned. The child thinks about it touches the stove anyway and gets burnt. Did the parent keep the child from touching the stove? No, they didn't, instead the child learned for themselves that they would get burned by touching the stove. He tested what nhis parents told him. The same thing with us, we are taught many things, if we are a thinking person we compare it to what we think, the choicee of belief is the same way. Otherwise we would be a robot.

Peace,
    Hope12
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 09:34 AM
    Your example doesn't match with the definition of cult or belief since it relies on physical experiments.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 09:40 AM

I can remember Jesus calling a couple of his followers, did he not merely go and call them to leave their work and follow him.

We are not told that they had heard anything about him, so could it have been that the spirit of God lead them to follow him.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 31, 2011, 09:47 AM

And there is also the child whose parent teaches him not to touch the stove because he will get burned. The child thinks about it, loves and respects and believes his parent, and does not want to get hurt, so he never touches the hot stove. Did the parent keep the child from touching the stove? Yes, because the parent had enough authority and power and used the respect the child has for the parent to prevent him from touching the hot stove. The child has faith that his parent is telling the truth.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 10:16 AM
    Cool, so I'm my child's god.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

May 31, 2011, 10:29 AM

Littlefoot: Have you ever seen the Great Valley?
    Littlefoot's Mother: No.
    Littlefoot: Well, how do you know it's really there?
    Littlefoot's Mother: Some things you see with your eyes, others you see with your heart.
    Littlefoot: I don't understand, Mother.
    Littlefoot's Mother: You will, my son. You will.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 10:31 AM
    My kids watched those movies when they were young. Good fictional cartoons.

May 31, 2011, 10:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    The thing about the original movie that I love is how many real lessons I learned from it about wisdom, prejudice, tolerance, and acceptance.

Can't say I ever watched the sequels.
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by southamerica View Post
    Can't say I ever watched the sequels.
    There are many!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 31, 2011, 11:11 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    May debate the "good" in the movies
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    May debate the "good" in the movies
    Seriously? What's wrong with this movie? The Land Before Time (1988) - IMDb

May 31, 2011, 02:30 PM
    Comment on Wondergirl's post
    Not really, this is fictional. Children do not always listen to their parents. You are .living \in a unrealistic world.

May 31, 2011, 03:00 PM

Children do not always listen to their parents.
    True, but that doesn't mean that children always ignore their parents.

As NK stated, we're trying to compare something that can be tested to something that cannot be tested-only postulated.

The thing about "belief" is that it cannot be proven. That's why it's called a belief, and not a fact. If you are comfortable in your beliefs and your faith-then be comfortable in it. If you're a peaceful and non-imposing person, then anyone who would approach your faith with anything above curiosity has bigger issues that don't have anything to do with you.

May 31, 2011, 04:32 PM
    Hello Southamerica,

It is true that children do not always ignore their parents, but some do, why? Because they are not convinced of what the parent is telling them. They touch the stove, get burnt and the are conviniced or become a believer of what the parent told them. They learned for themselves they were telling them the truth. It's the same way with what we believe in life, religious or not, it becomes a fact in our mind.

The dictionary states:

something believed; an opinion or conviction: a belief that the earth is flat.

World English Dictionary
    Conviction (kənˈvɪkʃən)

1-

The state or appearance of being convinced

A fixed or firmly held belief, opinion, etc
    Yes, te child beliefs he now will get burned if he touches the stove. He has onvinced himself by testing what he was taught. Our beliefs are the same, we are taught there is a God. We search known literature to either excuse what we are taught or we keep researching and prove to our minds and heart that God does exist. We then can say we believe in a suprteme being, we call God,

Peace,
    Hope12
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2011, 07:46 AM

Not really, this is fictional. Children do not always listen to their parents. You are .living \in a unrealistic world.
    So what you are basically saying is that every child in the world whose parents own a stove have touched it before?
    I have never touched a hot stove, because my parents told me not to and I believed them... why would I have reason not to?

Jesus Christ is a leader, his apostles were his followers. Why do you feel they followed Jesus?
    As far as I know they did not have insane asylums back then so people believed him.
    The miracles that he used to prove to people he was the 'real deal'... well, I have watched those evangelist shows on late at night and you can't get much more fake than that.

YouTube - ‪Jesus-Water into Wine Trick‬‏
    dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 01:43 AM
    From reading this thread I agree with 'NEEDKARMA' he seems to be the most rational. Others seem... I don't want to offend and get more of my coments removed. I have noticed that two of my questions have been removed.
    1 about 'The after life'
    The other was 'Why has my coment been removed'
    dronit Posts: 61, Reputation: 1

Jun 29, 2011, 01:46 AM
    Comment on dronit's post
    IS this not a free open minded forum, I have used no bad langage said nothing rude but still have had things removed. Why?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Who believes in fighting for love until the end and who believes its time to let go? [ 126 Answers ]

Basically I'm just curious because there are lots of people that believes that there is a time to let go and move on with your life but is there anyone who believes that love will make them fight for the very end? And why? For me even though I still have feelings for my ex it haven't been the...

Explanation Requested [ 5 Answers ]

I found the site while searching for information on Buddahism, so I am assuming that the those who answer will do so from a Buddhist perspective. I have read through the 8 fold path "Right mindfulness, right actions, right conduct etc" (not in that order of course) My question is, how do you...

Explanation Please [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please explain what a DVD+R Double Layer, is? I don't understand what the plus and minus means, or the dual layer. If yoy record on a dvd where is the 'dual' layer Thanks fooers

View more questions Search