Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JoyceG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 31, 2011, 04:50 AM
    Garage opener sprocket not turning
    Sears , the chain is not moving. When open the unit, the white wheel with teeth is not moving. It looks like the "teeth" are worn in some areas. Can I replace the wheel or should I just invest in a new. It is a 1998 unit and has had two cars leaving the garage door every work day for all 12+ years.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

May 31, 2011, 04:57 AM

Frankly, if it were me I'd just get a new one. The newer screw drive models are more reliable and last longer. I just got the 3/4 HP Chamberlain at Lowe's a few months ago for $199.

You could call around for repair parts, but if the toothed wheel is not turning at all, then it may be an internal problem... so since yours is that old, I'd just get a new one.

... just my humble opinion.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

May 31, 2011, 06:57 PM

Rick is probably right but Sears always seems to build in a weak link in their product and then seem to sell a lot of those links. That white wheel is a sprocket and is normally steel or brass, unless its Sears. You can get a Sears OEM part at http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...t/index.action if you have the model number. A really good hardware store might be able to sell you a metal sprocket too.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Old Genie Garage Door Opener - Gear and Sprocket [ 4 Answers ]

We have an old genie model SP99 garage door opener. The motor stills works, the plastic gear still turns but the door will not open or close without assistance. Could the chain sprocket 'slip' when the gear is turning? When giving assistance the chain does move down the track like normal to it's...

Garage door opener idler sprocket [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have a Stanley Professional Model 7200, Serial # 084143, 1/3 Hp Garage Door Opener with a worn and damaged plastic idler chain sprocket.:mad: I have not been able to find a replacement.:confused: I am looking for the Plastic or metal Chain Sprocket that is about 2 ¼ inches in diameter,...

How do I sync the keyless pad garage door opener to the main garage door opener? [ 3 Answers ]

I mistakenly gave someone my garage door opener that didn't return it. I had a male friend come over and "change the code" including my car opener and gave me a universial which he also programmed. I came to realize my code for my keyless pad outside doesn't work (since he changed the code... )....

View more questions Search