Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jazzmatation Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 08:21 PM
    Do I file taxes on my SSI if I don't have taxes taken out during the year?
    I draw one disabilty check from my employer which is tax free so nothing to claim there. I also draw SSI which does not have any taxes taken out of it. What is my filing status regarding income tax and how do I deduct my exemptions (house interest, medical expenses, etc)?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 30, 2011, 03:31 AM
    You do need to report both incomes (just because your employer doesn't take out taxes doesn't mean it's tax free), and they could be taxable depending on whether you have reached retirement age, the income totals, and your marital status. The SSI (do you mean SSDI?) has threshold amounts for married/single. You use the long form so you can deduct mortgage and medical as you normally would. This isn't difficult to do yourself with Pub 17, the booklet you see in Post Offices, or you can go to IRS.gov.
    jazzmatation Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 06:21 AM
    Comment on joypulv's post
    Yes, I meant SSDI, sorry. It appears, from your answer, that I file things pretty much as usual. Thanks. That helps.

If this is a repeat, I apologize, my computer has a mind of its own at times.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I owe the IRS $3,769.47 in back taxes from before the year 2000 and now I am on ssi [ 1 Answers ]

I owe the IRS $3,769.47 in back taxes from before the year 2000 and now I am on SSI and I am barely making ends meet. Please help, I don't know what to do.

Ssi and disablity can I clam taxes this year? [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 kids and I'm on ssi and disablity. I got to claim last year because of the stimulms package. Im also divorced, father still owes for medical bill. So can I this year?

May I File Taxes if Income only Consists of Child Support and SSI Benefits for my Chi [ 3 Answers ]

*This is actually for a friend of mine but I am going to write it in first person anyway.* Hopefully, someone will have some advise on my dilemma. I am unsure as to whether I need to feel taxes for 2007. Last year I was receiving cash aid up until August when I started receiving SSI Benefits...

I am on SSI Disability Claiming taxes this year! [ 2 Answers ]

I am on SSI disability and haven't worked in 4 years, I just won my judgement this year and I was wondering if I have to pay taxes for the income I receive. I pay rent and my power bill plus my medicine as well and I have a daughter that lives with me. Do I or can I claim her without working? Can I...

View more questions Search