Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2011, 02:37 PM
    Outdoor lighting and outlets
    Hello everyone. It's been a while since I've been here. So I have a question that I would like some help with. I had a car port built next to my garage. I now have to run power to the car port. In my garage I have a 15 amp circuit (14 gauge copper wire) with two outlets, one light, and one garage door opener. Should I run a second circuit to the car port or just upgrade to 20 amp circuit with 12 gauge wire? I plan to add another door opener, two outlets, and fluorescent lighting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million guys for all the help. Also everyone have a safe holiday.
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

May 30, 2011, 03:27 AM

It would be easier to run a new circuit for car port then rerun a 20 amp circuit to cover all.

If u have to room in panel box, this will also give u room for additional outlets or light in future.

Chuck
    davidadrian140 Posts: 124, Reputation: 2

May 30, 2011, 12:04 PM
    Thanks for the input chuck. It will be easier to run a new line.

Thanks again. :)
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 30, 2011, 01:48 PM

Be aware that outdoor receptacles must be on a GFCI circuit, period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor outlets not working [ 2 Answers ]

I have Xmas lights in the front of my home and they have been working for a couple weeks until this past Sunday. There was some rain earlier in the day. The house is only eight years old, so I assume they are GFI outlets but have no way to be certain. I only have four GFI outlets in the...

Wiring outdoor outlets [ 3 Answers ]

I want to put in two outdoor outlets on my cabin. One on each end. 36 feet. The panel is one one end. From the one outlet to the other end I am going to drill holes in the floor joists. The cabin is off the ground three feet. It will be skirted. The question is... can I use NM cable or should I...

Outlets and lighting [ 1 Answers ]

Can you hook up outlets and lighting on the same breaker?

Outdoor outlets [ 12 Answers ]

I'm adding a workbench with outlets outside and would like to know if the plan I've come up with would work.I will be starting from the breaker box with two 20amp breakers. The first 20amp breaker will be hardwired to my air compressor onlly The second 20amp breaker would wire into a ( GFIC...

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

View more questions Search