Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ovenbird0162 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2011, 04:58 PM
    12 year old dog begins biting
    My neighbor's twelve year old Samoyed (beautiful dog) has recently begun biting. First, it bit another neighbor's dog, then today as I walked past while it was staked out (I thought the leash didn't reach that far), it bit me. First it bit me on the elbow causing a deep bruise and some skin abrasion although my fleece jacket wasn't torn. Then when I turned to walk away quickly, it bit me in the back of the thigh, tearing my jeans but not breaking the skin.

My neighbor says the dog's shots are up to date and that it hasn't been known to bite before. The only thing she can think of is that she got a new puppy recently.

Should I encourage her to take the dog to a vet or to get professional training information? Should I report it to animal control or the condominium association we live in?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 28, 2011, 05:08 PM

Poor dog! He's been replaced by a puppy, and he knows it, so is taking his anger and unhappiness out on everyone he meets.

The family definitely needs help -- for themselves as dog owners especially. Yes, professional dog training and someone teaching the family how to reassure the older dog that he hasn't been replaced.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

May 28, 2011, 08:39 PM

Another pup in the family will irritate any old dog, but to the point of biting? Um.. Maybe? Every dog reacts differently to change.

I'm thinking since he is getting old (12 is OLD!) that there might be something medical going on. I would definitely push for them to take him to the vet for an old dog check up. He might be going deaf or blind. His body my hurt. He might not feel good over all.

At 12, there really isn't much a trainer can do besides redirect his issues. Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks, but at 12, behavior issues are only dealt with and finding out why. A behaviorist is who they need to see, but behaviorists are very expensive.

This isn't your dog, this dog is harassing people walking on a public sidewalk. You could report them.. if I were you, I wouldn't mention he bit you. If you say he bit you, then a lot of headache papers will be filed and who knows what the owners will do. If you feel it necessary to report a bite, then do so.. but keep in mind that all dogs on bite hold are kept at the local humanes society in isolation for 10 days or more. Ask to speak with the owners vet and request to see the rabies certificate- That's what I would do...

Its up to you on what you want to do. If you feel that the dog is a big threat and WILL do damage to people, you need to report it. If the owners aren't being responsible enough to keep their irritated dog away from the public, then it's their fault if something happens to the dog.

All you can do is talk to the owners about a vet exam and possibly behaviorist. If they refuse both, I say report the dog. You tried being nice... What if the dog causes you to get stitches next time?
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

May 29, 2011, 02:38 AM
    I echo Lucky's suggestions, except for asking the vet to see the rabies certificate. Vets have an obligation to report dog bites as well as MDs, and why would you be asking about a rabies certificate if there wasn't a bite involved somewhere?

This is a sudden change in behavior, which may be brought on by changes in the dog's environment, but may also indicate some mental aging changes, or a combination of both. 12 years is definitely geriatric for this breed. If the new dog is the trigger, re-homing the pup may reestablish normal behavior in the Sammy and may be one solution.

That you were bitten when leaving the dog is interesting. Seems you were simply an easy object to attack. Don't think of yourself when thinking of 'next time it bites', think of a child walking by as next. Speak to the neighbors about their consulting their veterinarian. If the dog does cause injury sufficient for a doctor visit, the dog will be turned into the local animal control. No threat, just the law the Doctor has to adhere to.
    comfortdog Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 29, 2011, 04:16 PM
    It is possible that it can't handle the stress of another animal in the home after being the only one for a long time. Also as dogs get older they are prone to getting meaner, somewhat like dementia or such.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult dog begins to pee on carpet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old terrier mix dog. She was once well trained to pee outside. During the last year she has started peeing on the carpet again. She has access to a dog door throughout the day and night and I take her out regularly, however she chooses to go pee on the carpet. I rarely catch her in...

Dog biting [ 4 Answers ]

My three year old pit bull has bit two people for no reason, do you think if I neuter him he will stop

Dog is Biting [ 2 Answers ]

We just took in a Jack Russell from an abused home. Supposedly the guy was very abusive to Max. But I think it was this guys wife. Ok here is the problem please help. He loves my 19 year old son and sleeps with him. He is OK with my husband as well. My daughter and I can not get near this dog...

View more questions Search