Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BillNi Posts: 25, Reputation: -7

May 28, 2011, 04:56 AM
    If I connect to open wifi, is it possible to trace back to me?
    Say I used an open wifi connection to download movies (practically stealing bandwidth), could it somehow be traced back to me (my laptop)? I always change my computer name and mac address before connecting. If it's possible, please explain how.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 05:23 AM

This is an illegal activity in many States. I question the "wisdom" of assisting you in breaking the Law.

Wi-Fi Sharing - Is It Legal to Use Open Access Wireless Internet Connections?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 05:27 AM
    Yes, they could log your MAC address which is unique to your NIC.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 05:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    This is an illegal activity in many States.
    Remember, he's Canadian. :)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2011, 05:51 AM

Um MAC addresses are hard coded. While it is possible to spoof them, you can't change them. But basically you are admitting to unethical if not illegal activities. This site will neither condone nor support such activities.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 06:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Remember, he's Canadian. :)

This time you got there in 3 posts. Last thread it took ME 11! Good work (and good catch).
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 08:37 AM
    To be honest I can't quote any laws concerning this activity because I'm not sure where to look. One could make a distinction between a known open wifi by design (Starbucks, hotel, etc.. ) and sitting outside someone's house. It's still a gray area in Canada. ISPs here are still immune to being forced to cough off session details to every asker (esp. the *aa groups).

I did find this, it's a good read with references: Is making use of unprotected Wi-Fi stealing? All that is wrong with the world…

May 28, 2011, 11:52 AM
    ISPs here are still immune to being forced to cough off session details to every asker (esp. the *aa groups).

What do you mean by forced to cough off session details to every asker? *aa groups?
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 12:30 PM
    To be honest I can't quote any laws concerning this activity because I'm not sure where to look. One could make a distinction between a known open wifi by design (Starbucks, hotel, etc..) and sitting outside someone's house. It's still a gray area in Canada. ISPs here are still immune to being forced to cough off session details to every asker (esp. the *aa groups).

I did find this, it's a good read with references: Is making use of unprotected Wi-Fi stealing? All that is wrong with the world…

I think the bigger problems is DOWNLOADING. I don't have time to research today but will check tomorrow.

Of course, the info is available to subpoena and every now and then someone gets ticked off enough to issue subpoenas but it doesn't happen often and takes money to start a lawsuit.

I think Scott's got the best answer - this is an admittedly illegal activity.

I would suggest that OP take some of the $4,000 he didn't claim on his tax returns and buy the movies instead of illegally downloading them.

May 28, 2011, 02:45 PM
    Comment on JudyKayTee's post
    According to the article, it's not illegal. And I'd rather spent my money wisely.

May 28, 2011, 03:07 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BillNi View Post
    According to the article, it's not illegal. And I'd rather spent my money wisely.
    If you are referring to the article that NK linked to you obviously didn't read carefully:

In Australia, Canada, the UK and likely most countries it is illegal to access an unsecured Wi-Fi network without explicit permission from the owner.

The thrust of that articles was people shouldn't be penalized if the network owner didn't secure the network.

May 28, 2011, 06:30 PM
    But it is not illegal in the States. I am in the States right now and I want to know how to avoid any tracebacks to my laptop.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 28, 2011, 06:42 PM
    But it is not illegal in the States. I am in the States right now and I want to know how to avoid any tracebacks to my laptop.
    Yesterday you were in Canada.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I live in Ontario, Canada.
    https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/other-...ct-578532.html

So which is it? Are you in Canada, or the States?

May 28, 2011, 06:57 PM
    Who says its not? It is a violation of US FEDERAL law to access a private computer network without permission.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 10:35 AM

So you work and don't pay taxes in Canada but currently are in the US?

No one is going to assist you in committing an illegal act.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 12:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Who says its not? It is a violation of US FEDERAL law to access a private computer network without permission.
    But there are plenty of open wifi areas where they want you to use it: Starbucks, airports, my city has free municipal wifi, all those are not illegal. People are jumping the gun here.

May 29, 2011, 12:08 PM
    But there are plenty of open wifi areas where they want you to use it: Starbucks, airports, my city has free municipal wifi, all those are not illegal. People are jumping the gun here.
    This is true, but its not what the OP is talking about.
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    This is true, but its not what the OP is talking about.
    When, in this thread, did he specify where he was connecting?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 12:29 PM

I'm addressing the question about illegally downloading movies. Otherwise I don't think anyone much cares where he's "connecting."
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 05:00 PM
    Ah, I see. Whilst it's illegal it's a long shot that you'd get caught using an open wifi connection. To paraphrase Mythbusters: Plausible but impractical.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I trace an open ground? [ 4 Answers ]

When I replaced an old porch outlet with a GFCI the unit tripped as soon as I connected the downstream load wires.. There are no other outlets on the circuit, only a number of ceiling light fixtures in the two adjoining rooms. What should I look for? Also, is there any chance that an undetected...

Wifi vs Wireless and AT&T's Free Wifi Service [ 1 Answers ]

Hello Everyone! I'm computer illiterate, and have a few questions. Please feel free to explain the most basic details. :) One, is wifi the same as a home wireless internet connection? If I disable Wireless Zero Configuration, could someone still utilize my free public wifi service at hotspots? ...

My wifi max won't connect me to the internet on my PSP [ 1 Answers ]

:( haow come when I try to use the wifi maw on my psp every time it says I am connected to the internet it always says there is a problem with the server (DNS):confused: :confused: :confused:

View more questions Search