Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ITstudent2006 Posts: 2,243, Reputation: 329
    Networking Expert

May 27, 2011, 09:26 PM
    Freshwater Aquarium with Ich parasite.
    We have 3 cichlids (Convict, Fire-Mouth and a Jack Dempsey) and 4 Blue Molls. We are fairly certain the tank is infected by Ich.I have researched but found many conflicting treatments. What do you recommend?

Rick
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

May 28, 2011, 07:49 PM
    The water is fresh. No salt added?
    Networking Expert

May 28, 2011, 08:08 PM
    Update:
    We segregated the obviously infected, isolated the remaining. Bought new fine rock and washed with bleach, dawn, water.100% water change with a tank scrub... washed all toys, and equipment ie: filter hose, aviation tubes and block, and heater. We also added aquarium salt (1 tsp per gallon) and let set before adding healthy fish. We also increased temp in water to 86 degree... 1-2 degree increase per hour. We also tested the water before adding the cichlids. Tested ideal in all categories except alkalinity was high ( was told it was from the salt) added the cichlids.

They seem to he doing good. The convict is a black convict so when he is stressed he will turn white. He hasn't been stressed thus far. We are doing the same thing to our isolation tank for the visually infected alpine blue molls. Hoping to be able to reintroduce the molls in with cichlids. I would like to turn my cichlids into as much as a community fish as I can. We are also getting an African Richard cichlids which turns tables on the whole plan. He is African and the other three are South/Central American so the molls will most likely perish. Were debating on what to do with the molls.
    Networking Expert

May 28, 2011, 08:10 PM
    Comment on ITstudent2006's post
    African Brichardi not Richard... sorry
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 10:27 AM

I have ich as well, and I called the pet store and they recommended Super Ich. They also said to not clean the tanks yet (other then the water change) as this will further stress the fish out. I just lost 4-5 fish, expensive fish, and am at a loss as what to do as well. Hopefully he treatment they recommended will help.
    Networking Expert

Jun 7, 2011, 12:28 PM

Increase temp to 86
    Aquarium Salt 1tblsp per 5 gallons
    QuICK Cure

Do the salt and quick cure for
    3 days...
    GZDZ Posts: 139, Reputation: 18

Jun 8, 2011, 09:18 AM
    I believe super ick can be used with salt. That is why I asked. Do not use "aquarisol" or something similar with, I believe(copper sulfate) in it, if you have salt. I don't use salt and swear by aquarisol in my aquariums. IT WORKS!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My fish still has Ich [ 0 Answers ]

Kay so My silver fish still has it, and it doesn't seem to be getting better, it actually seems worse, I don't know what to do. And now my other one has it, but it's not as bad. Ugh, It's to the point where I wish I could make them sit still as if they were a cat or dog and just brush the crap...

Ich treatments and antibiotics? [ 22 Answers ]

Hello everyone! Yes I know, Another fish question. I noticed just now that my fishie Avery has Ich, or at least I'm pretty sure that he does. He's got little sprinkley white thingers on his face, and I looked at pictures and it looks the same. Anyway, I read this article about treating Ich,...

What am I doing wrong with my freshwater aquarium? [ 4 Answers ]

So recently I set up an aquarium, with one of those DIY kits from walmart. I added 5 fish, which I was already told was too much but its too late for that. I set it up normally, let the tank run for a few days, and then added the fish, for the first few days the fish were doing great, I had some...

New 5 gallon freshwater aquarium [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all... hey, I just purchased a 5 gallon aquarium (hex shape, biowheel filtration) and I actually... believe it or not... also purchased freshwater that I could "just add the fish" into after water came to temperature (my kid wanted fish that day... hard to dissapoint little guy so this seemed...

View more questions Search