Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    briana2161 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 11:13 AM
    I need to know something
    I had a person from out of the country send me 3,000.00 in travelers checks and he told me to go to the bank and get them cashed and gave me a person's name to send it to in Naibori, Kenya. I have not heard anything else from him and he changed his email address and I am starting to worry if this is legal or not. I also got to keep 10% of the money. Could you please tell me what you think?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2007, 11:21 AM
    It sounds as if you have already cashed the travelers checks.

Honey, I am so sorry and I hate to tell this to you but you have been scammed. Always go by this life rule of thumb: If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. You have to think to yourself, "why would someone I don't know give me money?"

The bank will hold you responsible and you have no recourse but to pay it back or else they will either take it from your account or take you to small claims court.
    slowandeasy Posts: 353, Reputation: 14

Jan 27, 2007, 06:14 PM
    Please never ever fall for one of these scams!! These are scam artist that send out thousand of e mails in hopes some one will bite

I would let the bank know but i doubt it will do any good i think they will hold you responsible good luck
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2007, 07:32 PM
    He actually sent you real travelers checks? How long ago did you cash them?

Do you really want to know what I think? I think you are a gullible fool. There is an enormous amount of publicity about these scams and you ignored it all. One of the reasons there is so much spam clogging the Internet is because of gullible people like you who fall for this stuff.

I hope you have $3K to repay the bank for the fraud you perpetrated on them.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2007, 09:08 PM
    This is one of the most well known frauds going.

It is a scam, what will happen in about 5 to 8 weeks the checks will come back as fraud, and the bank will demand you repay them.
    And they will press criminal charges against you when you don't pay.

Normally they will have you use western union to send them the money since they can get it from anywhere.

Hopefully you have not sent anyone any money, if you have, go and talk to your bank at once.
    FnOzi Posts: 8, Reputation: 4

Jan 27, 2007, 10:08 PM
    It is Illegal!!
    I got offered a "Position" via email.(The recruiter got my details from a Job matching site).
    I have been contacted by the "high Tech Crime Squad(Australia) stating the the Russian Mafia is behind the scheme of draining the accounts of "National Australia Bank" customers and having Ginea Pigs such as us to transfer o/s via WESTERN UNION TRANSFER.I got to keep ONLY 5%.
    Because of my gullibility,I may now face serious criminal charges.
    Steer clear of any kind of money tranfer.
    Hope it helps
    Cheers FnOz1
    Ernest carr Posts: 48, Reputation: 2

Jan 28, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Don't Do it. Take it to Police NOW. This happen to a friend, He cashed a Travelers Check for a girl he met online sent her the money via Western Union, A few days later the Police paid him a visit, the check was stolen and he had to take out a loan to pay the bank back their money. If he did not keep the correspondence and Western Union receipt he would be in jail now.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 4, 2007, 06:00 PM
    In most cases this isn't guilibility, it is greed. When it is too good to be true, it usually isn't. ANd when you know you didn't do anything to earn/receive all this money...

Oh, the Nigerian email scandal!
    glmccoy2469 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2007, 05:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by briana2161
    I had a person from out of the country send me 3,000.00 in travelers checks and he told me to go to the bank and get them cashed and gave me a person's name to send it to in Naibori, Kenya. I have not heard anything else from him and he changed his email address and I am starting to worry if this is legal or not. I also got to keep 10% of the money. Could you please tell me what you think?
    This is a SCAM! I have seen this many times. Stay far away from this. If you cash thos money orders you could be in legal trouble.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

View more questions Search