Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dvp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 09:10 AM
    Burning films to play in dvd players
    Hi,

Stupid question probably but I have no idea about how to burn films from my PC as mpegs onto a dvd so that I can play it in my dvd player. Dvd player can play mpegs but I don't know what software to use or anything.

Really appreciate help here! I have asked many people but my IT friends are of no help, all being music fans rather than films!
    HVAC888 Posts: 674, Reputation: 75

Jan 27, 2007, 09:56 AM
    Is your DVD player Divx capable?

I have a Toshiba SD4980. I copy multiple avi's to a DVD and then can select which file to play using he onscreen menu.

Xvid encoded avi's work too contrary to what the user manual says.
    dvp Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 29, 2007, 04:38 AM
    No mine is mpeg compatible, but writing the mpeg to dvd-r and then playing it does not work. I thought that this would be the same as avi (as you have said) but it's not the case and I don't know why. I didn't think I would need a codec for this and the manual for the dvd is of no help whatsoever.
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 29, 2007, 04:43 AM
    There's a large number of programs that will convert media files into DVD format for playing on a domestic player.
    Roxio and Nero are two of the biggest in this field.

Feb 1, 2007, 10:18 AM
    All DVD players are mpeg compatible, that is the DVD format.

What you need to do is use 3rd party software to convert your media file's audio and video to DVD mpeg format, then burn in to DVD as DVD-video which creates the DVD structure (i.e. VOBs).

You can Google this stuff, with all kinds of step by step instructions.

But probably the fastest solution is to get a Divx compatible DVD player, which I believe is most of the new ones out there.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2007, 11:51 AM
    What burner software do you use? I use Roxio and I just select the option to create a DVD, then select the video files I want to include. I then hit the Burn button and viola!
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 12:15 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by HVAC888
    All DVD players are mpeg compatible, that is the DVD format.
    That's kind of misleading since
    a. there are different mpeg standards
    b. not many players play mpeg movies to begin with

Feb 1, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Ok, I will re-phrase that, All DVD players are Mpeg-2 compatible (DVD) and Mpeg-1 (vcd) compatible.

b. this statement is mis-leading. Unless you mean playing .mpeg or .mpg files directly from a disc, then I agree.

In any case, convert your mpeg files into a DVD compatible format, either Mpeg-2 or Mpeg-1, then burn the file use the proper directory structure. For example, using Nero, select DVD-video, and it creates the proper directories. Chose VCD, same thing.

Feb 1, 2007, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What burner software do you use? I use Roxio and I just select the option to create a DVD, then select the video files I want to include. I then hit the Burn button and viola!
    Before I bought the Toshiba, I use Sony DVD architect to create the complete DVD movie, including menus and animated backgrounds, then saved the DVD to hard drive, then burned using Nero DVD-video format. Boy the whole process took forever, but looked quite professional.

Now, copy avi to dvd+r, and play.:)
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 1, 2007, 03:08 PM
    As I mentioned waayyyyy up there on post #4 (and Scott on post #6) get a converter program.
    Then it's a simple case of plug in almost any video file, convert and burn to DVD.
    Pretty simple really.
    No mucking about wondering if the avi file you have is Divx 4 or 5 or which version your DVD player supports.

Just remember the KISS principle
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 1, 2007, 03:40 PM
    Here's a link to a site that explains how to convert and burn to DVD using free open source software: Hack Attack: Burn almost any video file to a playable DVD - Lifehacker

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nov. 2004, what's up with s-video? And dvd players? [ 7 Answers ]

What are your recommendations for dvd-players in the 130 $ range? Is s-video a much better picture or barely noticeable. Do you need an HDTV for s-video to work?

Some Players Play Big [ 3 Answers ]

Please Respond if you have ideas: My 14-year-old son is a 6-0 point guard and holds his own very well on the outside. However, he just can't compete when he gets inside, even if he is going against players smaller than he is. On the other hand, there are 5-11 players on his team that seem to be...

Dvd rom not playing films [ 2 Answers ]

Hi can you help me,I am having a problem with my dvd rom drive. I have a separate dvd rom and cd rewriter on my computer. My dvd rom is a piooneer,the problem is that it will not detect any dvd films, but does detect normal cd games etc. I have the power dvd program to play my films.but it...

View more questions Search