Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ecaryjr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2007, 07:24 AM
    Brake lights
    When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Locate brake light switch, which has a connector going to it and is attached to the top of the brake pedal. It's attached to the end of a pushrod, which goes through the firewall.

1. Remove connector and clean contacts with abrassive cloth.
    2. Spray switch with WD-40.
    3. Replace switch, if this doesn't fix the problem.
    Ak70 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2007, 12:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ecaryjr
    When pushing the brake pedal on my 1997 ford explorer the brake lights do not come on. The bulbs are good and burn when lights are turned on.
    There's a switch at the top of your brake pedal that turns on the brake lights,. did you check your fuses?
    bikerguy Posts: 87, Reputation: 13

Jan 28, 2007, 11:46 AM
    The rear bulbs are for running lights and a separate filament for the brake, just because they glow when the lights are on does not mean the bulb is good. The others make a good point looking for something in common with both bulbs, THE BRAKE SWITCH. BUT the obvious would be bad bulbs 1156 is single filiment 1157 is dual if its got newer style coule be diff numbers
    racerfireman4504 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ecaryjr
    the brake switch by the brake pedal could be bad. It would be under the dash by brake pedal.
    racerfireman4504 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2007, 08:25 PM
    The brake switch by the brake pedal could be bad. It would be under the dash by brake pedal.
    huskyjjc Posts: 35, Reputation: 3

Feb 5, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Does the 3rd stop light work? If the 3rd stoplight is on but the reg. stop lights are not it can be a bulb but not the switch. If all fails the next thing to check is the turn signal switch as the brake light wires go threw it and if the turnswitch is not making a good connection the lights will not go on but the turn lights will

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Brake lights on ford explorer [ 5 Answers ]

My brake lights on my Explorer are out. The problem is not the bulbs. What should I be looking for that would cause this problem? Appreciate any help. Mickey

Mazda 626 '99, brake lights out [ 10 Answers ]

All my brake lights including the one in the rear window won't light. All other lights work. I checked all fuses. Does one bulb cause them all to be out?

Brake Lights [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 1990 Z71 Truck. The brake lights stay on . I can't find the problem.

Ford Explorer Brake Lights [ 4 Answers ]

My 2003 explorer brake lights will not turn off when I turn off my car. Can you help?

1995 Nissan Altima Brake Lights stay on [ 1 Answers ]

My Altima's brake and parking lights stay on. I have taken the fuse out until I have the problem fixed. I checked under the dash and there are several switches located there. Not sure which one is for the brake light. Any suggestions?:mad:

View more questions Search