Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

May 24, 2011, 05:13 PM
    For this reaction what are the products that I can get Alcoholos Organic chemistry
    For this reaction what are the products that I can get I got already two I'm sure there are another 2, they are alkenes, but I do not know hw to get them.

DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

May 24, 2011, 08:44 PM
    I don't see anything.
    susus Posts: 138, Reputation: 2

May 25, 2011, 07:27 AM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    Here is is again http://imageshack.us/m/819/2563/rxny.jpg
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

May 25, 2011, 09:04 AM

I believe there is sulfonation of the benzene ring that can occur (forming a sulfonic acid) and then, the other possibility given different conditions, can form a hydrogen sulfate.

Sulfonic acid - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ethyl sulfate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

May 25, 2011, 05:28 PM
    Comment on DrBob1's post
    I still can't see anything
    Uber Member

May 26, 2011, 12:38 PM

It requires you make an account on imageshack =/

But here it is:

May 26, 2011, 02:28 PM
    Ahh, now I can see! Thanks, Unky
    There is no aromatic ring in this question - it's a substitued cyclohexane. The first missing alkene is the vinylcyclohexane (call it III) where the double bond is at the end of the two carbon chain. The other missing alkene would be 2-ethyl-3-methylcyclohexane. (IV) Call your products I and II.
    Protonation of the alcohol OH and loss of water gives a carbocation that loses H+ from either one of the two adjacent carbon atoms to form alkenes II and IV. This is a secondary carbocation and it can undergo a hydride shift to give the more stable tertiary carbocation. This can lose a proton from any of the three adjacent carbon atoms to give the two products you show plus the other one, IV, that I suggested.
    You may be asked to use Zaitsev's rule to predict the major and minor products.
    Uber Member

May 27, 2011, 12:46 PM

Shoo, I thought I saw a benzene ring >.<

May 27, 2011, 01:30 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    NO, they are cyclohexane (actualy cyclohexENE rings). A benzene ring should always show either the three double bonds or the symbolic aromatic circle within the hexagon. Without them it IS confusing! As depicted, neither structure can have the double bonds shown on / in an aromatic ring.
    Uber Member

May 28, 2011, 07:51 AM

Yes, I know, and I have realised my mistake after you mentioned it in your post when you said it wasn't aromatic.

And I'm not sure of something, for the last molecule, wouldn't it rather be 2-ethyl-3-methylcyclohexene? :confused:

May 28, 2011, 03:11 PM
    Comment on Unknown008's post
    Sure would! (But it's the cyclohexEne that is in error, just for the record.)
    Didn't we once have the ability to edit our answers>?
    Uber Member

May 29, 2011, 02:56 AM

Yes, we still have for 24 hours, but that's in the older skin (the one you're on right now is called the 'Go' skin). If you want to go back to the older skin, sing the 'Settings' button somewhere at the top right corner and when there is a popup, look for a link saying something along the lines of 'take me back to the old AMHD'

Good then! I wasn't even aware that this product was possible... I only learned that when there is dehydration, the adjacent H and OH gets removed, but here, there's one H being 'skipped' for another H in the ring... Oh well, we learn new things everyday :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Organic chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

A purified sample of napthalene is grey and has the same melting range as a white purified sample. What causes the grey colour.

Organic Chemistry- Showing reactants and products [ 1 Answers ]

How do you show the reactants and products for each of the reactions below. Identify any major products with an asterick. a) The reduction of 2-methylcyclopentanone b) The formation of 3- phenyloctane I had trouble with these on a test. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Chemistry: Predicting Reaction Products [ 1 Answers ]

Decomposition of a carbonate will always form a what as one of the products?

Organic Chemistry [ 2 Answers ]

What is the word :homologues series means . Simply explain how ethene can be prepared from ethanol.

Organic Chemistry [ 1 Answers ]

Why does the hydrolysis of 2-iodobutane give a single optical isomer as organic product whereas the hydrolysis of 2-methyl-2-iodohexane gives a mixture of 2 optical isomers?

View more questions Search