Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ken101141828 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Wrongful termination due to HIPAA?
    I was fired and subsequently rehired following an investigation of a false accusation of a HIPAA violation. I lost time from work, insurance,PLO, etc. The investigation was performed after I was fired. Come to find out that I was used as an example to other employees as to consequences for violation. I've had no other disiplinary events. Do I have any rights?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 24, 2011, 04:03 PM

If you work in an at will state then you can be terminated for no reason at all. Look at this as a suspension and move on.
    legaldoha Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 30, 2011, 01:04 PM
    You may have the right to deny this decision because it was precedent to the investigation. What should have been done with your case was to give you're a garden leave until the investigation is ultimately finished and the termination in question was based upon its findings.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 30, 2011, 01:15 PM

You said you were fired, but then rehired,
    So more exactly what did you lose.

You should have been brought back to same position without any loss of benefits. The only exception could be the pay for the time between when you were fired and rehired.

Now were you rehired because they found you did nothing wrong, or that you did wrong but were going to allow you to return
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 30, 2011, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by legaldoha View Post
    You may have the right to deny this decision due to the fact that it was precedent to the investigation. What should have been done with your case was to give your a garden leave until the investigation is ultimately finished and the termination in question was based upon its findings.
    And what good would that do? The employer has the right to suspend without pay. So all this would do is stir up a can of worms that might affect the OP's future with the company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wrongful Termination [ 3 Answers ]

I have recently been terminated from my employment with a local sports bar. It has been in my opinion a hostlile environment for a few months when I was written up out of the blue for allegedly not doing my job (general manager). The first write up was mostly my alleged incompetence to communicate...

Is it wrongful termination. [ 2 Answers ]

In the state of Arizona, is it wrongful termination for a contracted employee to be fired and not given a reason either verbally or in writing? In a meeting with 5 other people, she was told to pack up her things and leave, she was fired. That was all that was said. When later given a letter...

Hipaa violation/wrongful termination [ 9 Answers ]

2 months ago I was injured on the job. I work at a nursing home and contracted some type of skin infection. I have been seeing a workers comp doctor on a weekly basis and have been on modified duty. Last week my employer, called me into her office. The Director of Nursing, and the maintenance...

Wrongful termination [ 7 Answers ]

Im trying to find out if I have a case for wrongful termination. A year ago in July I was falsely accused of a felony crime which went to court an was dropped. In Aug after learing about my arrest my principal calld me for a meeting to ask what had happened. At the time I told him the whole...

Wrongful termination [ 3 Answers ]

My former employer, fired me for allegedly violating a security rule. I was terminated for plugging a non corporate portable into the Corporate network. I have been using my Macintosh openly, for over NINE MONTHS, in plain sight of all my peers and management and no one ever told me to stop. ...

View more questions Search