Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oldgrouch Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 24, 2011, 03:18 PM
    Engine cranks but won't start.
    Assuming that the air filter is clean, plug is good & properly gapped, and there's gas in the tank, try this first. Give the carb a SMALL shot of starting fluid (small is the operative word) and immediately crank the engine. If it starts and then quickly dies, try cranking again with full choke. Pull the plug and see if it's wet with gas by by looking & smelling. If it is, then it's highly possible ( probable?) that the ignition module had died. It's a little 1" square thing with 2 or 3 wires running from the bottom of it and it's usually attached to the outside of the fan shroud. If it dies, You'll see a weak spark when grounding the plug, but it's not enough to ignite gas, only ether. The modules are available on line and pretty much a universal part. Just make sure you get 2 or 3 wire version according to what's on your engine. I bought mine at a local small engine parts supplier for $15, but watch out if you go to a mower dealer The local J.D. dealer wanted $65 for his. I guess it was made of gold. Best aftermarket brand is Stens.
    DG Posts: 1,375, Reputation: 109
    Ultra Member

May 24, 2011, 08:20 PM

Did you have a question ?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

92 civic engine cranks but it won't start! [ 104 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 92 civic dx manual with 188k miles My son drove it to School had it towed home. The engine cranks over but it won’t start. I’m not getting fuel over to the fuel rail. I have no pressure. I got no problem codes. Check engine light never came on.

Engine cranks but will not start [ 5 Answers ]

1993 GMC Safari 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles Recently got this van from my wife's Aunt. It ran perfectly until it was parked 6 months ago. It is a V6 model with fuel injection. The engine turns over but will not fire. Fuel filter was replaced and the gas was dumped before...

Engine cranks but won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1999 chevy silverado 1500 with a 4.3 v6. The engine cranks but won't start. I've checked the fuel pump (works fine) . I used a volt meter to ohm the coil, it's OK. I did some voltage checks on the signal going to ICM and coil, they appear correct. It acts like it want's to start but...

Engine cranks but doesn't start [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 96 chevy express 2500 van vortec 4.3. The engine cranks but doesn't start. I can hear the fuel pump come on when I turn the key. It is getting spark also. Tried starter fluid and it still doesn't even want to try and fire with the starting fluid. I am stumped any ideas anyone? Ran fine the...

Engine Cranks but won't start [ 5 Answers ]

I drove my 97 eclipse gst with 53000 miles the other day and parked it shortly after. It would not start again. Engine would crank but would not start. I checked fuel pump, works when turning the key. I checked fuel rail and it is receiving fuel. I checked spark on all wires it is fine and plugs...

View more questions Search