Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

May 23, 2011, 02:09 PM
    Questions to ask breeder?
    After about 18 months of discussion and paying off outstanding debts etc, we finally have enough disposable income to get a dog (and I've just been offered a full time job working from home!)

I've had my heart set on owning a Corgi for years now. I wanted to get to know a few breeders but unfortunately they're not a hugely popular breed in this neck of the woods. So, I've found one very reputable breeder near by (KC registered, Cruft's Qualifiers, they even run a Canine Hydrotherapy Centre that is used by local vets) and we've been in contact since January. She had a litter of 7 on the 17th May. Hopefully we'll be going to visit the puppies in the next few weeks, and then every week until we can take one home - but I've never bought a puppy before. I've had them as kids, and remember the work involved in training and raising them, but I've never been there with the breeder before.

I trust this breeder, but I'd really like some guidance as to what questions I should be asking? The father isn't owned by the breeder - do I need to request to see him? Or will photos/videos/paperwork be okay? What vaccinations should I expect the puppies to have had prior to being homed? I know I should ask for a "contract" - what do I need this contract to cover? Is it mainly a health contract with regards to the puppy suffering any genetic issues that were previously unknown?

Also, this might be a silly question, but I know you should ask for a blanket or toy that has been kept with the puppy and it's parent, so they can smell them once you get them home - but then I've also read that another option is to wear an old t-shirt for a few days, and leave it with the puppy whilst it's still at the breeders, and that gets the puppy used to your scent prior to being taken home. Which of these do you think is better?

I just want to make sure I'm as prepared as possible and that this little pup's transition is as smooth and as non-scary as it can be.
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

May 23, 2011, 03:24 PM

Congratulations on your decision to add a pup to your family!

The main questions I would ask a breeder about are:
    Temperament.
    Although environment can play a part in a dogs temperament, so can genetics. Find out as much as you can about the parents and grandparents of the pups. Are they aggressive, shy etc or are they bold and outgoing?
    If they show their dogs then odds are they breed for good temperaments but it still always pays to ask.

Health.
    Corgis are a pretty healthy breed overall but there are still a few things that need to be tested for.
    PRA is a disease that causes blindness later in life, it is 100% testable and both parents should be clear of the disease before mating.
    Hip displaysia is determined by x-raying and scoring the parents hips.

As for the father, you can ask for photos so you know what he looks like, and his health records but I doubt you will be able to physically see him.
    A lot of big breeders will use dogs from other kennels at stud and viewing them is just not possible, there is nothing wrong with this, it's just logistics.

Vaccinations are something that has a wide range of opinions.
    The minimum the pup should have is Parvo, Distemper and Hepatitis. Many breeders will vaccinate for a lot more though, it is personal preference.

If the breeder is willing to give you an old blanket that the pup has slept on or if you are willing to give them a blanket to use for a week or more then I would go with that option. Either one is a good idea though so it's entirely up to you.

I think that covers everything, if I have missed anything or you want to ask anything else just let us know.
    We have several other pet experts here so hopefully they will see this and give their opinions as well.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 23, 2011, 05:45 PM

I would ask about the health guarantee. In my area breeders ENCOURAGE people to take the "new" puppy to the buyer's Vet to be checked and also guarantee against hereditary defects and problems.

I don't know if this is standard practice.
    Kohoutek Posts: 83, Reputation: 3

May 30, 2011, 11:15 AM
    Thanks for the advice guys! I've been to meet the breeder today and all is looking good. We should have a new addition to the family in July. I'm so excited!
    DandelionWish Posts: 12, Reputation: 2

Jun 3, 2011, 05:05 AM
    Congrats on getting a new addition to your family =)
    When I decided to get my puppy, I visited the breeder before he was born to meet the mother then after he was born at 1week old,3week old,5 and then 8weeks old and all the other new puppy owners did the same.
    I also took my own dog blanket to leave with him to take him home in so he would have his moms scent on it also a few toys and a bottle to be filled with the tap water from the breeders because even a difference in tap water can upset a puppys tummy and leaving his mom n littermates is stressful enough without a upset tummy.
    My breeder gave me a 4week petplan insurance cover
    Puppy pack with food,wormer and puppy milk
    Also make sure you get THERE vets number... just in case.
    Enjoy your puppy!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Finding a reputable breeder [ 8 Answers ]

Okay, I'm sure this has been asked before, but I hate the new search function, and can't find the answer. I am looking at getting a Devon Rex cat. I've always rescued my animals, but I really REALLY like the descriptions I've read of this breed. However, this is a relatively new breed, and...

Lab/Schnauzer breeder [ 81 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Michigan and I am searching for a lab/schnauzer mix breeder. I would also adopt a rescue of this mix pup, but my guess is that will be hard to come by. Anyone know of contacts in the surrounding areas of MI for this dog? I noticed on one posted questions someone got their dog...

Breeder who needs assistance [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a breeder who has many puppies dying rapidly. The symptoms are vomiting, diareah, loss of appetite, and bloody stool. It's not coccidia or giardia. The medications we've been using are flagil, albon, arethamiacin and our vet has no answer.

Becoming a breeder [ 13 Answers ]

I'm just curious.. but what does it take to become a dog breeder? Like do you need to be certified do you need any schooling and so on and so forth

New breeder [ 13 Answers ]

My mini dachshund was supposed to be fixed I don't know if there was still extra sperm left or what but towards the end of my females first heat my mom found them hooked together that was about a week ago now her teets are starting to swell up. What is happening?:confused:

View more questions Search