Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    infoguy Posts: 108, Reputation: 8

Jun 5, 2011, 10:51 AM

Mitchsc, since you said you already did memory tests, I assume you already obtained or burned a Hiren's Boot Cd. Good news on the memory tests! Before going much further, I wanted to give you a couple of hyperlinks related to your situation. The first involves ways to access the BIOS:

BIOS_Entering

The above website shows a different method for getting into Compaq Presario's BIOS seetings, which is different than on other Compaq computers. Have you been just tapping the key, or holding it (or THEM) down continuously?

Another interesting thing I ran across was the following website that describes similar situations to what you have experienced with your 5333CL Presario.. . That one was the same model as yours:

Cannot access Bios on Compaq 5333CL : General BIOS Questions - Wim's BIOS Page

The above website refers to a "diagnostic partition" on the hard drive -- that is, IF it has one (or HAD one)!

I am looking into ways to modifiy a Compaq Presario BIOS via another access method... more to come soon, hopefully!

Jun 5, 2011, 11:18 AM

From the following web address:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/s...n&dlc=en&cc=us

... I clicked on an internal link that took me to the next link that you will find below.

As promised, here is a link that specifically addresses your model of computer, straight from HP. Please compare the BIOS access method they mention versus the year of your computer!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/d...link=ot_search

(From the top of this page, your entry):
    "Compaq Presario 5333CL (vintage 2002) XP SP3"

From the above hyperlinked HP web page:
    "NOTE: Pressing F10 opens the BIOS of Compaq Presario desktops 2001 and earlier."

In that same paragraph, it says,
    "Pressing F1 opens the BIOS of . . . and 2002 models of Presario desktop computers."

So, is yours really a vintage 2002? If so, how do you really know?

To me, it does not look like F10 is the appropriate ACCESS method, but it is probably the correct EXIT (save changes) method, wouldn't you agree?

Jun 5, 2011, 01:52 PM

Here is another Compaq Presario BIOS accessing procedure:

How to Enter the BIOS on a Compaq Presario | eHow.com

... and yet another one here:

How to Access Compaq Presario Laptop BIOS Settings | eHow.com

Jun 5, 2011, 02:34 PM

Here is yet another hyperlink that specifically mentions your model 5333CL, but this one talks about a jumper setting on the MoBo!

How can I patch my BIOS to be compatible with a new processor stepping? - Yahoo! Answers
    mitchsc Posts: 802, Reputation: 7

Jun 5, 2011, 06:54 PM
    IG:

Wow, thank you for all the research and links, etc. I really appreciate it. You're 4 posts ahead of me, so I'm going to go through each one and answer any questions you have.

I didn't burn Hiren's Boot CD to do the memory tests. I just downloaded and burned MemTest86 & MT86+ directly.

When I said "vintage" it was an approximation. I purchased the PC Jan 8, 2002. Not certain of the mfg date.

My PC has always accessed BIOS Setup by tapping F10. I have it in my notes, and have done it many times. It also says right on my Post Screen "F10 for Setup". So there is absolutely no doubt on this one. Also, as mentioned previously, if I reset the BIOS by removing my CMOS battery, I can access the BIOS Setup one time (by tapping F10). Can also boot from CD one time after battery removal and replacement. Holding down F10 never worked on my system. Give a stuck keyboard error. I had to tap.

I never heard of a diagnostic partition, but that doesn't mean anything :). I don't think it's a HDD issue, because I keep a clone of my HDD dating back to the last fresh install in 2008. I installed the clone, which accessed BIOS in the past, and it doesn't work either. There is no way that could have become corrupted sitting in my desk drawer. So I think the "partition" idea is out too.

As far as the BIOS reset jumper, Funk5000 is not the fellow with the 5333CL. He sounds like a well meaning person making a general suggestion. I know that many mobos use jumpers to reset BIOS. My particular mobo has a reset button, labeled and everything. Resetting the BIOS has not been an issue for me. Also, perhaps there is more than one version of mobo in a 5333CL?? I don't know. The person asking for help said he had an AMD processor. Mine came factory with a P4.

Well IG, again, I can't thank you enough for all your time and help. At this point, I'm not sure what else is left to try, other than flashing the BIOS. But the risk outweighs the gain. I could totally hose the PC if things don't go well. At least now, the computer is more or less functional. And who knows, it may just up and die tomorrow and my problem will be solved.

If you come up with anything else, I'll be here.

Cheers...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Secondary Drive Not Recognized in Setup (Bios) [ 29 Answers ]

I installed a 2nd hard drive in cable position 2. Both hard drive jumpers are set to "cable select". If I go into Windows, Disk Management recognizes the 2nd hard drive with all correct information. I can also open the drive and view all the files. But if I go into Setup (BIOS), the drive is...

"F" keys not working to enter BIOS on setup. [ 13 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, It's been awhile since I've been on AMHD. Kind of doing the Marine thing now. Anyway I am working on a friends computer but the "F" keys won't allow me to enter the BIOS on startup. I am re-installing a new OS and she can't remember her login password so I can't do it that way....

Box on incline. If you push it up, will it take longer to go up or longer down [ 5 Answers ]

If a box is given a shove so it slides up an incline then slides back down to its starting point, will it take longer on the way up or on the way down? I think it's down.

Electric dryer taking longer and longer to dry clothes [ 3 Answers ]

I have an electric dryer that is taking longer and longer times to dry the clothes about 2-1/2 hours to do a standard load. The time seems to be increasing - Is this dangerous? It is probably running my electric bill up? The dryer came with the house I bought a year ago. I would guess the appliance...

View more questions Search