Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fwfmfw Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2011, 12:31 PM
    Wiring for outdoors
    Not sure how it is hooked up, have three out door lights. Have three separate switches housed together. I have ONE hot coming in, how do you hook up three switches and go from one to other as well as all three lights? Wires were off when we move in.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 23, 2011, 12:55 PM

Attached Images

ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

May 23, 2011, 07:27 PM
    HK, great schematic! What program do you use to get the figures? Brian

May 23, 2011, 07:58 PM

Paint

May 24, 2011, 06:36 AM
    The third wire also is bundled?

May 24, 2011, 06:40 AM

What third wire? Are you speaking of a ground wire?

May 24, 2011, 09:26 AM
    Well there are three wires, white black and green which normally are return hot ground?

May 24, 2011, 09:57 AM

Green (or bare) is ground. It is generally understood the ground wires are always connected together and to any device that has a ground (green) screw. They are there for safety but are not part of the circuit logic. Drawings can get a little messy some times. Therefore, I don't usually show ground wires.

However, look at drawing again. I have revised drawing to include ground.

May 24, 2011, 10:56 AM
    Thanks for update, now will check to make sure white is hot as wiring a little odd in places, never take anything for granted and same to be sure to note correct for circuit breaker pulled for this project. Nice use of Paint program, which is kind of a handy MS product.

Next will try and get wiring corrected on Briggs 16HP Twin (401707 1204-01) as the ign key switch got all screwed up by shop and now cooks our solenoids. Cannot find any diagrams on older models or on Murry anywhere so will do the old continuity check etc to wire correctly. Only real challenge will be how to hook up charging wires out of engine as they are not done right, will not need green/red for lights. Older 6 pole switch and for some bizarre reason has NO id letter or nr on poles. That one is driving me nuts as can find hot coming in, and to solenoid to start but zero idea of others, only need to hook up charging and kill but so far no luck. AGAIN THANKS and great drawing. Kind of confirmed what I thought but prefer to get data from someone that knows job and you do. Thanks again

May 24, 2011, 11:06 AM

now will check to make sure white is hot
    Don't understand that comment.

If you have a white wire that is hot you don't have power coming to the switch box, instead you have a switch loop. In what you have described, if you have one switch loop you will have three.

I have ONE hot coming in
    Perhaps I misunderstood. You do have cable with a black and a white bring power to the switch box don't you?

May 24, 2011, 11:31 AM
    Will check out ALL of it and get back to you, it is covered now so want to get it all correct. NOTE switches are individual and seems to be hooked up on another box in some sort of serial way, cannot see any bundling but need to take closer look.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rabbits indoors and outdoors [ 0 Answers ]

I have questions! I am not a huge fan of indoor bunnies for many reasons. However, I do think some bunnies like one of mine would love to be inside with us because he is very social and loves attention, follows us in the kitchen and crawls on us all the time! He is a wonderful bun (Holland lop...

Putting a LCD TV outdoors next to a spa [ 0 Answers ]

I want to put an LCD TV outside on a wall next to our spa pool, but I can't afford the high prices of a waterproof TV. I want to built a waterproof cabinet, big enough to fit a 20inch LCD TV. I'm assuming I need to put airvents in there for the TV, will I get condensation. Do I need to put airvents...

Looking for a movie like the great outdoors [ 3 Answers ]

Can't rember who was in it but the major scene I rember was a bit were they decide one of them we dress up as a bear and the other fight it to gain respect from his kids but why he is outside the cabin getting changed the real bear walks in . Hope some one can help me

Porcelain used outdoors and repairs [ 3 Answers ]

I am building an outdoor kitchen and want to use an antique cast iron porcelain kitchen sink, will it hold up outdoors? I also have another sink just like it that has about a 3 inch round chip that needs repair, is it worth repairing and where do I begin looking for someone to do the work or can I...

Two new kittens that are outdoors [ 1 Answers ]

I just got two 9 week old kittens yesterday. They were brother and sister. They were outside cats. They were eating rats, pork and beans, meat, dog food, cat food. I just got them kitten chow but they barely eat it what should I do ? Also how do I teach them to be indoor kittens when they are...

View more questions Search