Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    debrabartys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2011, 10:20 AM
    Is there a quote from the lord _vengeance is mine saith the lord+?
    Is this correct "vengeance is mine saith the lord"
    debrabartys Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 23, 2011, 10:22 AM

Is there a quote from the lord that says vengeance is min saith the lord?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

May 23, 2011, 01:03 PM

Romans 12:19 (King James Version):

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
    dwashbur Posts: 1,456, Reputation: 175
    Ultra Member

May 23, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    Romans 12:19 (King James Version):

Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
    Paul is quoting Deut 32:35, so it's in both Testaments.
    gromitt82 Posts: 370, Reputation: 23

Jun 23, 2011, 08:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by debrabartys View Post
    is this correct "vengeance is mine saith the lord"
    The Epistle of St. Paul to the Romans is by far the longest of the Pauline epistles, and is probably his most important theological legacy.

The fragment you mention is under 12:19, and according to the New Int.l Version, it says:

“Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord”.

However, Paul most surely transcribed it from Deut. 32:35, in the O.T. that goes: It is mine to avenge; I will repay. In due time their foot will slip; their day of disaster is near and their doom rushes upon them."

The message implied is clear: we are not to take revenge against those who sin. It is up to God to punish them, eventually.

Yet, Paul, does not seem to believe in God’s infinite mercy nor in Jesus’ offer of salvation to those that repent from their sins.

It is also to be borne in mind that the Yahweh of the O.T. appears certainly more willing to punish our failings than the Jesus of the N.T.

Gromitt82

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Come, to me Lord! [ 4 Answers ]

I've always had the best Faith. Nothing could shake me, at all. I love the Lord with all of my heart, and Satan keeps telling me I'm lying and that "If you love him so much, why do you doubt him? Why is your faith falling, why are you so miserable?" etc. I'm 15 years old and have gone to a...

Lord of the Flies [ 2 Answers ]

Why is the murder of Simon considered the climax of the novel? What events followed his death? Also what is the conflict in the novel?

Who are the evil ones who say Lord, Lord? [ 614 Answers ]

Matthew 7:The true disciple 21. `It is not anyone who says to me, `Lord, Lord,' who will enter the kingdom of Heaven, but the person who does the will of my Father in heaven. 22. When the day comes many will say to me, `Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, drive out demons in your...

View more questions Search