Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    inaivylove Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2011, 08:13 AM
    Just replaced toilet! Bubbles coming up toilet? Leaking around base?
    Just replaced my toilet, the previous toilet was not flushing correctly and now I have put in a new one Im trying to save myself money as I'm a single mother but every time I turn around it is costing me more! So please any details as to what I need to look for let me know. But this is what I did exactly and what's happening.

I removed the old toilet and noticed the wax was all over and black and disgusting! Scraped off as much as I could off the floor and tried to clean it up the best I could. Now I put the wax ring on the new toilet and then placed it over the bolts and sat on it and wiggled it with all my body weight to set the ring into place. Im not a small girl you think this would have did it! Now after about a month of it being there When I sit on the toilet I hear a squish sound and it seems to rock a little and I'm noticing a small amount of water... it seems to be coming from the front and also after I flush its like bubbles are coming up from the toilet? Like air is getting in?? I don't have a clue what I'm doing but I assume when I pull the toilet off again I'm going to need a new wax ring but what else do I need to be looking for or do when I pull the toilet up again this way I don't have to do it again!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

May 21, 2011, 04:49 PM

Hi Inaivylove...

Sounds like the wax gasket may have moved a bit when you installed it AND that the bolts need to be retightened... happens with wax gaskets... I'll explain.

When setting a toilet, you squish the wax ring as you did with your weight and then you tighten the nuts to the toilet bolts. Then... you wait a few minutes, and tighten the nuts again. After about 5 minutes, I'll give another tightening to the toilet bolts and then cut the bolts off flush to the nuts so I can cap the bolts/nuts. Finally, I give a 1/2 turn or so to finish the job and then I snap the caps in place and clean off any dirt/wax, brass cuttings, etc... ;)

Now, with all that being said, you need to be super careful not to crack the toilet bowl... really is a FEEL thing you learn over the years, you know?

Anyway, first, you could just try to retighten the nuts on the bolts, but because you mentioned the bubbles, I suspect that when you set the toilet the first time the wax gasket squeezed into the toilet drain a bit and is causing your issue with the bubbles.

Therefore, I would recommend that you remove the toilet and do this over, but this time, let the wax squeeze out a bit between tightenings... be careful, and with any luck you'll be all set here!

Questions? Just let me know...

Mark
    sytico Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2011, 03:32 AM
    I suggest you hire a professional to come and fix your tiolet. It might end up saving you more than you trying it yourself.

Good luck!
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jun 18, 2011, 11:43 AM

Hi SYtico...

I can see that you are new to this site so let me take a minute to let you know that the whole point of this site is to assist homeowners/DIYs to fix issues that they can, so advising as you did is not how it works around here, OK?

Stick around, see how we do it here and then, if you think you can help with something, please contribute... ;)

Good luck!

Mark

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Toilet leaking at the base of toilet [ 2 Answers ]

I need help. My toilet is leaking from the base of the toilet, not consistently, about once per day. We have replaced the wax ring, tighten bolts but still continues to leak. We have even turned off the water valve supply and it is still leaks. What can be the problem?:(

Violent air bubbles coming up through toilet [ 21 Answers ]

Question for you folks, since I am sick of having soaking wet floors: I have a sewer system house, modem plumbing, nothing out of the ordinary... Every 30 to 60 seconds the 2 toilets in my house shoot water up through the drain hole. I am assuming this is huge air bubbles, and in most cases...

Air Bubbles coming up in toilet [ 2 Answers ]

What is causing air bubbles to come up in toilet and water to back up into bathtub?

Leaking around base of toilet [ 4 Answers ]

We are having a persistent leak around the base of our toilet. First we replaced the wax ring. Still leaked. Then we replaced it again with a jumbo wax ring. Still leaked. I noticed the porcelain around one of the bolt at the base was cracked so we replaced the whole toilet w/ a brand new set...

Toilet leaking at the base [ 6 Answers ]

Our toilet is leaking from around the base. We have tightenind the bolts. We have replaced the ring twice in the past 6 months. It seems to be worse. We can't figure this out. Does anyone have any ideas for me? :confused: Also, the flange is sitting above the floor lavel. I wasn't sure if it...

View more questions Search