Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nedhlp7 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
    Hot water from well
    Hi
    I'm not sure what's going on, but I have hot water coming from my well. I can leave
    It run for about 15 to 20 minutes and it will cool down a little but it would still be warm
    Enough to take a bath and not be uncomfortable.
    I live in Florida and thought it was that my pipes weren't deep enough because we
    Don't have to have them as deep as in area's where it freezes. But, I can feel the
    Pipe coming right into the holding tank and its HOT! This is so strange and very
    Annoying not to mention worrisome.
    My well has a submersible pump and I don't notice any other issues at all. There
    Aren't any strange smells or bubbles or cloudiness, nothing but hot water! Also
    There's no way it can be backwash from the hot water heater, just in case someone
    Wondered about that one.
    I really appreciate any ideas! Most people around here have nice cool spring water
    And this is the first year this has happened. I have a metal nozzel on my hose and
    It's so hot you can't handle it. Sure makes it hard to water my garden.
    KenSayers Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

May 21, 2011, 04:07 AM
    Can you tell me what part of Florida and the depth of your well, please.

May 21, 2011, 05:20 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by KenSayers View Post
    Can you tell me what part of Florida and the depth of your well, please.

I'm in North Central Florida. I don't know how deep this well is because it was here when I purchased this property. I've been here over 20 years, so this is a new occurrence.
    I've been wondering if it could be that the submersible pump is heating up inside the well? And that's
    What's making the water hot? I have no idea. I know the well had to meet regulations when it was drilled
    That many years ago. It may exceed that or not be deep enough. I'm at a loss.
    When I first turn the water on it's cool, then after running it a while it's hot, then after about 20 minutes it gets a bit cooler where I can water the garden, take a bath, etc. Thank you.

May 21, 2011, 06:15 AM
    I do not know what distances are involved, but the scenario of a problem with your pump sounds realistic. The initial water is from the line and your pressure tank while the water from your aquifer could be cooling down the water while the pump heats the pipe. That problem would be self limiting in that the pump will soon fail if that is the issue. The alternative is that the water source is heating up. If that were the issue,the water would not cool down even a bit while making the supply pipe hot. You would also have similar complaints from your neighbors.

I have a 2" galvanized loop where the supply line emerges from the casing and then returns to the ground to come to the house.

It then emerges from the slab and enters the bladder tank. If I had your situation I would check the pipe as it emerged from the wellhead as the water is turned on. It simply doesn't make sense that a bearing could be so bad as to make the water so hot that you cannot hold the nozzel yet doesn't soon fail.

I had a hot hose bib because the plumber pulled what he thought was cold from a hot/cold set, except it was for the room on the other side of the wall. But I have a new house. After 20 years, this cannot be a new problem with how it was plumbed. I might be worried about faulty wiring, possibly ants? Curious.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

May 21, 2011, 06:25 AM

"But, I can feel the
    pipe coming right into the holding tank and its HOT! This is so strange and very
    annoying not to mention worrisome."

That sounds like the water is coming from the wellhead already hot. It's hard to imagine a sub pump, which is immersed in water, getting so hot that it makes the water hot to the point of being difficult to handle, but I guess it could happen. The first several gallons the pump delivers when it cuts on should be fairly cool, but the pump could heat up as it runs and start sending warmer water later in the cycle. Sounds strange, but it would seem to be the only possible answer. How old is the pump?

May 21, 2011, 06:55 AM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    Yes, coming from the holding tank. That is why I wanted to know if the heat was coming from the supply line as it emerges from the casing, first. It doesn't make sense to me either.

May 21, 2011, 08:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jlisenbe View Post
    "But, I can feel the
    pipe coming right into the holding tank and its HOT! This is so strange and very
    annoying not to mention worrisome."

That sounds like the water is coming from the wellhead already hot. It's hard to imagine a sub pump, which is immersed in water, getting so hot that it makes the water hot to the point of being difficult to handle, but I guess it could happen. The first several gallons the pump delivers when it cuts on should be fairly cool, but the pump could heat up as it runs and start sending warmer water later in the cycle. Sounds strange, but it would seem to be the only possible answer. How old is the pump?
    I just went out there and since it's not the heat of the day, I felt the water pipe or
    What you would call the wellhead and it's not hot except a bit where the sun beats
    Down on it. I do have a shelter over it, but some sun does get in. It feels a lot hotter
    In the day when its swealtering out. Right now though the water coming out of the
    Faucet at the well is NOT coming out hot. So, I guess it's not the pump unless it
    Gets hot off and on if it were getting bad. I'm know nothing about it, but I also have
    A burm filter attached to the side that comes in my home and it does get hot, why
    I don't know, it's made of fiberglass. The other pipes are leading directly from the
    Well to the outside garden area. Maybe I don't have those deep enough in the
    Ground since Florida has a lot of sandy soil? I'll check the wellhead later on again
    Throughout the day and see if it's hot or the water at the well faucet is hot too.
    I'll report back here with the results. Thank you all:confused:
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

May 21, 2011, 09:50 AM

A far out possibility.

You could have an electrical short in the pump wiring as it goes down the well. Assuming a well put down 20 years ago would have galvanized pipe. If you have breaks in the wiring which are making contact with the pipe, electrical current could be traveling through the pipe and heating it up. Sort of like having an underground water heater.

Logically that would only occur after the pump has been running a while since your pump switch would turn off all current going down the well. Logically the short should be tripping the breaker but that doesn't appear to be happening. Perhaps the short is making contact just enough to cause the pipe to heat up but not to trip the breaker.

I know that this a lot of "ifs" in this logic but makes more sense than a pump over heating. Eventually the pump will burn up because of the reduced voltage.

I'd pull the pump now in hopes not having to buy a new pump.

You could check this logic by checking the amperage draw at the breaker if you know how much the pump is suppose to pull.

You also may be able to detect a short by disconnecting the wiring at the well head and checking for continuity between each wire (going down the well) and the well pipe.

May 21, 2011, 10:50 AM
    That makes sense. I'll have to get someone to check that out for me most likely
    Because I'm not that experienced, but my son in law should be able to do it because
    He does pool and sauna hookups etc. I'll ask him if he'd look at it otherwise I might
    Need to have to pay an electrician. But that sure is a possibility and I appreciate
    Your response. I'll let you know what happens when I get it looked at. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    A far out possibility.

You could have an electrical short in the pump wiring as it goes down the well. Assuming a well put down 20 years ago would have galvanized pipe. If you have breaks in the wiring which are making contact with the pipe, electrical current could be traveling thru the pipe and heating it up. Sort of like having an underground water heater.

Logically that would only occur after the pump has been running a while since your pump switch would turn off all current going down the well. Logically the short should be tripping the breaker but that doesn't appear to be happening. Perhaps the short is making contact just enough to cause the pipe to heat up but not to trip the breaker.

I know that this a lot of "ifs" in this logic but makes more sense than a pump over heating. Eventually the pump will burn up because of the reduced voltage.

I'd pull the pump now in hopes not having to buy a new pump.

You could check this logic by checking the amperage draw at the breaker if you know how much the pump is suppose to pull.

You also may be able to detect a short by disconnecting the wiring at the well head and checking for continuity between each wire (going down the well) and the well pipe.

May 21, 2011, 01:50 PM

Simple enough to do. Just turn off power to well. Disconnect wires at well head. If you don't have multimeter, pick one up at HD. Should be about $15. Set meter to "Resistance". That's the little horse shoe symbol. A digital meter should read 1 (one) when set to resistance. That represents infinity or unlimited resistance. Touch leads together and reading will go to 0. Meaning you have a connection between the two leads and have no resistance. That's all to just check meter.

Disconnect wires at well head. Touch one lead of meter to wire and one to well pipe. If meter gives any reading other than 1 (one) that means you have a connection between the wire and the pipe, meaning you have a short somewhere. Check both wires.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2011, 01:57 PM

What HK suggested does seem outlandish. You would think a short of that magnitude would throw the breaker in a second, but whose to say it is not the case?

I'm not sure about one thing. Is the water hot when it comes out of the ground. Feel the pipe when the pump is pumping and see. You seem to say it is hot in one place, and then it is not hot in a later post. If the pipe is hot, then I assume the pressure tank is hot also?? Is the pressure tank under cover?

May 21, 2011, 02:14 PM

What HK suggested does seem outlandish. You would think a short of that magnitude would throw the breaker in a second, but whose to say it is not the case?
    I agree it sounds quite outlandish but the symptom of having hot water coming out of the ground is quite bizarre also. If you have cracked or broken insulation on a wire and (poor) contact with the metal pipe you may not trip breaker. Good contact would probably trip breaker. You could even have arching which would heat the pipe.

A bit far out I agree, but at this point I think I would bet a pizza its something like that. Are we on?

May 21, 2011, 02:17 PM
    Thanks for the directions. I really appreciate it and I'll report the findings when I get
    Them.

Quote Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
    Simple enough to do. Just turn off power to well. Disconnect wires at well head. If you don't have multimeter, pick one up at HD. Should be about $15. Set meter to "Resistance". That's the little horse shoe symbol. A digital meter should read 1 (one) when set to resistance. That represents infinity or unlimited resistance. Touch leads together and reading will go to 0. Meaning you have a connection between the two leads and have no resistance. That's all to just check meter.

Disconnect wires at well head. Touch one lead of meter to wire and one to well pipe. If meter gives any reading other than 1 (one) that means you have a connection between the wire and the pipe, meaning you have a short somewhere. Check both wires.
    Uber Member

May 21, 2011, 04:05 PM

HK, I wouldn't take that bet! I'm afraid I'd be out one pizza to you. You're right in that bizarre problems can call for bizarre explanations.

May 22, 2011, 05:26 AM
    You mentioned that you have a hose connection coming off the well head before it goes to your house. Is this the hose that has the hot nozzle? What I am asking is to find out if the water is hot coming out of the ground. Heat travels all directions from a problem is why I am asking. As for whether the pipes are exposed or not should not make a difference. If you have had the house for twenty years and that was not a problem, the sun did not get hotter to create this problem. Short of introduction of some new geothermal event, the problem has to be electrical. I doubt that there is a short, as I believe a short to ground would throw a breaker. A loose connection would cause a heat problem, however. As was suggested, checking the amperage draw would let you know right away.

May 22, 2011, 12:46 PM
    That makes sense and I'm having someone come and check it just to make sure since
    I'm not sure what I'm doing. I will get back on and let everyone know what our findings
    Are.

Quote Originally Posted by KenSayers View Post
    You mentioned that you have a hose connection coming off the well head before it goes to your house. Is this the hose that has the hot nozzle? What I am asking is to find out if the water is hot coming out of the ground. Heat travels all directions from a problem is why I am asking. As for whether the pipes are exposed or not should not make a difference. If you have had the house for twenty years and that was not a problem, the sun did not get hotter to create this problem. Short of introduction of some new geothermal event, the problem has to be electrical. I doubt that there is a short, as I believe a short to ground would throw a breaker. A loose connection would cause a heat problem, however. As was suggested, checking the amperage draw would let you know right away.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 26, 2011, 04:50 PM
    I just had the same situation with my well. During this past winter (New York) my well water would come out of the cold faucet pretty hot for about ten minutes. Last week the pump stopped working completely. When I pulled the pump out of the well I noticed the insulation on one of the power legs started to fail and short to ground. For some reason this well was wired where only one of the two power legs would disconnect causing a constant 120 volts to run through the pump (240 Volt circuit). The result was this turned my 240 volt pump into a 120 volt heater. I replaced the wiring from the top of the well to the pump and the problem went away.

Good luck.

May 26, 2011, 05:16 PM

Thanks Zeke, just the type of situation I was trying to conjure up.
    Uber Member

May 26, 2011, 07:01 PM

That is really bizarre. Your reply is why I elected NOT to put a pizza on the line with HK. Sure makes your reasoning look more solid.
    zeke Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

May 27, 2011, 03:59 AM
    Comment on jlisenbe's post
    Once pizza was put on the line I figured this topic was getting serious and almost dangerous. I don't know why my well is wired this way. There is space on the pressure switch to disconnect both hot legs and kill all power to the pump. I figured the installer was either lazy or didn't know what they were doing. I guess rewiring this will just get added to my summer to-do list.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No hot water coming out of hot water side only cold... hot water heater is working [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I need help bad. I am a woman writing to you whose husband has given up on the problem and will no longer work on this. He doesn't care if we have hot water cause he can take a shower at work. I cannot. It is the dead of winter here in Colorado. We had frozen pipes that burst in the wall...

Cold water coming out of hot water tap in bathroom but Really hot water in kitchen [ 7 Answers ]

Can anyone give me a reason as to why nearly completely cold water is coming out of my hot water tap in my bathroom but when I run the hot water tap in the kitchen the water is nearly boiling. The hot water and cold water taps are separate in the bathroom, where the kitchen has a handle which...

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

I have very low hot water pressure from my hot water heafrom an electric water heater [ 0 Answers ]

I have very low water pressure from my hot water heater. I can't find anything wrong.. any ideas?

No hot water in shower and water heater affects both cold and hot water flow [ 1 Answers ]

1. No hot water coming from shower even though there is hot water coming from face basin in same bathroom and throughout the house( moen plumbing) 2. when water heater valve to house is turned off the cold water and hot water from shower does not flow, yet in other faucets throughout the house...

View more questions Search