Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Canada321 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 09:04 PM
    Restaurant theft in canada
    My boss is trying to accuse me and other employees are the restaurant we work in of theft. For not punching in pops but charging people for them. We don't think he has any way to prove it, but if for some reason he can prove what we are doing, what is the worst case scenario. He is threatening to fly in computer programming people to dig into our systems to see all of our bills and to have us interrogated by police. Also, to charge us with theft. What should we do, should we just quit? Deny until this ends? Or what? Please help!
    grammadidi Posts: 1,182, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

May 19, 2011, 10:01 PM

If you have been doing what he is accusing you of, then the best thing to do is to speak with him privately and admit to everything... WITH A SINCERE APOLOGY. You should probably offer to work an hour a week for a few months for free to repay the restaurant.

Honesty IS the best policy.

Good luck!

Hugs, Didi
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 20, 2011, 06:17 AM

Hello C:

I don't understand you stealing from your boss and wondering whether you should keep doing it... And, I don't understand a boss who thinks his employees are ripping him off, AND HE'S RIGHT, and he STILL keeps them employed...

You BOTH deserve each other.

excon
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

May 20, 2011, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Canada321 View Post
    ... He is threatening to fly in computer programming people to dig into our systems to see all of our bills and to have us interrogated by police. Also, to charge us with theft. what should we do, should we just quit? Deny until this ends? or what? Please help!
    If the police question you, refuse to talk to them without an attorney.

What is it you did again? You described it as "not punching in pops but charging people for them." So some customer wants to purchase a soda pop. Instead of running the transaction through the register you would take the cash and stick the money in your pocket? How would you make change?

And if the transaction didn't go through the computer, how does he figure computer experts would find anything? I suppose they could run a tally of all pop purchases in a particular shift and if a certain number of customers told the cops that they purchased pop from you in that shift you would have to explain where the money went (Again, don't try to explain it; lawyer-up instead.) Seems iffy at best.
    BMI Posts: 892, Reputation: 270

May 20, 2011, 08:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    What is it you did again? You described it as "not punching in pops but charging people for them." So some customer wants to purchase a soda pop. Instead of running the transaction through the register you would take the cash and stick the money in your pocket? How would you make change?
    I am a little confused myself. Perhaps the pops were $1 or $2 dollars and if the customer didn't pay exact these guys didn't pull the pocket scam?

Nevertheless, the boss threatening to fly-in equipment (does it really take sophisticated equipment to solve this complex puzzle) indicates, to me at least, he will do no such thing.

Anyway, irrespective of this NASA equipment en route, I'd imagine that the amount in the till does not add up with the inventory remaining. That is what probably alerted attention. Although, note to your boss: calculators and an inventory sheet are probably much cheaper than this R2D2 equipment he speaks of.

Like ex says, you all deserve each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Theft Under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, Back in may I was caught shoplifting in a walmart store. I was never convicted or charged for the crime. I never had to pay anything or go to court. I was just recently askes to sign a consent form for a background check for a job. Will it mentioned something about CPIC. Will my...

Theft under or over $5000 in Canada [ 10 Answers ]

Just thinking, do we have enough of these questions to warrant a sub category in this topic. One member mentioned that it seemed like a national past time in Canada at the present. I am starting to wonder. At times I am embarrassed to think that so many Cdn.young people are walking into stores and...

Theft under $5000-Canada [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I was caught for stealing at walmart. They brought me into the back room and did a police chack. Since it wamy first offense, I was pardoned. They didn't issue me a court date or anything, does this mean I don't have to go to court?. Do pardons show up on your record? I am currenlty looking...

Theft under 5000-canada [ 3 Answers ]

Thanks for the help. However, if they were going to press charges, wouldn't they have done it right away when the theft occurred?. Why do it at a later date?. If theyare going to press charges how long do they usually wait?. and how does this occur?. letter in the mail?

Theft employer in Canada [ 3 Answers ]

I recently got charged with stealing 5 iPod nano's(each aprrox.worth $224 no tax included) from my employer Walmart Canada. My friend was arrested 2 days before me because the cops claim they have us on camera stealing. He was sent home after interrogation and received two court dates one for...

View more questions Search