Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyMarie71 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 09:15 AM
    Small composite deck.. which brand to go with?
    Hello, I am trying to get information as far as the difference between composite decking. I live in a townhome and the deck will be small (approx. 7x14). I have been told there are many differences as far as quality, what is used, etc.
    It appears many of the products have a cellulose and/or wood fiber content of nearly 50% of the volume of the product and in some it can climb to nearly 70%. This equals more of a chance of rot. I have also read that there was a study done by several renowned scientists a couple years ago indicated that the wood fibers and other cellulose products used in the composite decking products they tested can and does rot if they're not treated with a preservative. The wood and/or cellulose fibers not only can be readily seen at the surface of the products and at all cut edges, they are randomly interconnected throughout the entire length, width and depth of each board. Water can and does soak into many of the composite decking materials and this water fuels the wood rot process in those materials that do not contain a preservative.

I was told that now there are over 90 different composite decking companies since TREX came out in the early 90's. With that said, which brand has the better warranty AND is better quality?

smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 09:24 AM

Does the deck get frequent and long hours of full sun? Or is it dark and heavily shaded most of the time? That should be one of your criteria in making a decision.

May 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
    Yes, I agree that the amount of sunlight should be considered as far as fading BUT, my original post was about rotting issues and the overall quality of which manufacturere to go with. Trex has been in business for a while but have many lawsuits and customer satisfaction is low. Timbertech I heard is pretty good as well as Veranda (I think that's the spelling).

Anyway, the deck will get about 5-6 hours of sunlight (sunrise until about noon).
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 10:02 AM

Not fading... I am thinking mildew growth that will be more likely if it doesn't get a lot of light. And that is a big factor with these composites. And one of the leading complaints.

May 19, 2011, 10:31 AM
    With what was said (smount of sunlight, etc) which brand(s) would you consider? TimberTech? Veranda? Azek? Just to name a few.
    Uber Member

May 19, 2011, 11:02 AM

I'm at about the same stage as you... I haven't decided among those readily available local to me yet. Just wanted to toss out that other question to you so that can help you narrow the choices down.
    Dr1757 Posts: 186, Reputation: 25

May 25, 2011, 02:58 AM

Trex is a good choice, will not fade or rot.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Composite deck cleaning [ 3 Answers ]

I replaced traditional treated lumber decking with the newer composite (trex) boards. I have found this material extremely hard to clean. It shows rain water stains and seems to absorb dirt and stains of all sorts. Please let me know if you have any cleaning solutions! I have tried everything-even...

Howling Composite Deck [ 2 Answers ]

I have a customer who built a deck on the back of his house. The deck is about 8 feet off the ground. The house sits up on a hill and gets a fair amount of wind. The problem is that when the wind hits the side of the house it is forced up underneath the deck and blows upward. The result is what I...

Can I lay slate tile over composite deck? [ 1 Answers ]

Screened in porch has geo deck or some composite deck. Wanting to lay slate tile and thinking about putting 1/2" DuRock over the decking and then laying the slate. Can this be done or amy I going to have to rip the decking off and start over?

Can you install composite wood deck over concrete slap by gluing? [ 4 Answers ]

We have a concrete slab, covered patio and would like to install composite decking. Can we just glue them to the concrete?

Refinishing composite deck [ 2 Answers ]

Good Morning! I washed our deck yesterday which is made of a composite material called millennium board. It is a cream color, about six years old and is now stained with mildew and discoloring. What can be used to refinish it and make it look better?

View more questions Search