Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mftaylor2 Posts: 43, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2011, 04:33 AM
    Baby rabbit keeps rolling over
    My friend just rescued a baby rabbit. We have no idea how old it is. It's vey small, fits in 1 hand and it's eyes are open. She thought it had a broken leg but now we are not so sure. It can't move around without rolling over. It's like it has no balance or the legs are not working properly. There are no vets in our area, we live in a place were pets are not a common thing. She bought the animal from a man who thought she was buying it for dinner. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. She is drinking water and has eaten a little lettuce. She is very snuggly and likes just being held and snuggled, maybe because she is having so much trouble moving around.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 19, 2011, 04:43 AM
    Look through her fur for any signs of being hit (by a car) or bitten.
    It's possible she was born with a hip defect and abandoned.
    You can buy rabbit food (pellets) online.
    Lettuce is mostly water, so try some other veggies. I'm not sure about dairy products to substitute for mother's milk or not.
    Snuggling might be the need for a mother.
    Make sure she is able to excrete her waste.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

May 19, 2011, 02:35 PM

Lettuce is a treat and not nutritional for a rabbit. She needs so much more then just lettuce. The staple food she needs now is alfalfa or timothy hay. Pellets are also a must. The hay and pellets must be a daily diet. Rabbits cannot survive without eating. They need food available 24 hours a day, otherwise their digestive system will shut down and the rabbit will die.

If she's very small then she's likely been taken away from her mom way too soon. Sadly, the only thing you can do is make sure her nutritional needs are met, plenty of water, and hope for the best.

Rabbits taken away from their mothers too soon have a very high fatality rate.

Although veggies won't hurt her, they aren't enough to keep her alive. There really is no substitute for mothers milk. Dairy products are not a good idea with a rabbit.

Snuggling will stress her out. Rabbits really don't enjoy being held or cuddled by humans. Make sure she's warm, and for the most part let her be alone so she can feel comfortable enough to eat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I'm a firt time rabbit and is a rabbit OK in the weather where I live? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I've looked in book and the internet and I've nothing I would like to know if I could keep a rabbit outside in when its warm and then bring him in when its cold because I'm afraid the weather where I live is to cold for him:confused:

My rabbit has had 1 baby [ 6 Answers ]

Hi could someone help. My rabbit had a litter of 6 kits but sadly they all died as the mother had no milk. I have never dealt with this before and was told by the vet to keep away from mum and babies and only to go near to feed mum. By the time I took them to vet it was too late. Now 7 weeks on...

Rolling your own [ 3 Answers ]

A man walks into a pharmacy and wanders up & down the aisles. The sales girl notices him and asks him if she can help him. He answers that he is looking for a box of tampons for his wife. She directs him down the correct aisle. A few minutes later, he deposits a huge bag of cotton balls and...

One baby rabbit [ 7 Answers ]

My rabbit had a litter of 3 kits 2 died. My question is do we need to bring the baby inside? It isn't very warm outside, and I have read that there needs to be 3 or more kits for them to stay warm. Any advice would be great!

Rabbit had baby... Guinea pig problems [ 5 Answers ]

I know u might say your not supposed to keep guinea pigs with rabbits but we do and they get along. My rabbit had babies and we didn't know for a little and once we noticed 2 were dead 2 were badly injured(now dead) and one had a few scratches and a missing ear. OK now there's 2 questions's....

View more questions Search